108872 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Simplivty and hardware upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
CJN7
Occasional Collector

Simplivty and hardware upgrade

We are presently running Simplivity version 4.1.1. and the 4 HPE hosts. What I am hoping to do is upgrade the HOSTs firmware first, including iLo. I believe its the SSP. And once that is all done I would like to update the esxi version, vccenter version and Simplivty to version 4.1.3. Some questions I am looking for guidance on:

1. can the upgrade process for all the above be done as an automated process? I noticed in vcenter there is an upgrade option and whjen looking through i see that there is an to uppgrade, vcenter, esxi and Simplity. Is this not recommended?

2. Am I able to update the HPE host firmware - i.e. iLo, etc without having an impact on the Simplivity/ESXi piece?

3. Somewhat related to what I am asking above, is it possible on HPE support to setup getting support emails regarding updates that are important specific to the actual hardware we are running? I get emails but they refer to other products as well. Which can be confusing to sift through. If this is not the correct place for this particular line item, please let me know and I will remove it.

4. Does HPE Simplivty have to do the Simplivty updates? 

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
gustenar
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @CJN7 

I'm going to address your questions. 

1. The process of updating the different Simplivity components can be done using the HPE Simplivity Upgrade Manager. Simplivity requires specific software/firmware that has been tested and approved for the platform. Here's a link to the HPE Simplivity Upgrade Manager guide for review in which you will find all details related to the upgrade process. 

2. Upgrading firmware requires downtime for the node. You will only perform updates one node at a time to minimize impact to production. Only use the approved SVT ISO with recommended firmware versions for Simplivity. See link here to download. 

3. RECEIVE PROACTIVE UPDATES: Receive support alerts (such as Customer Advisories), as well as updates on drivers, software, firmware, and customer replaceable components, proactively in your e-mail through HPE Support Alerts. Sign up for Support Alerts at the following URL: HPE Email Preference Center.

4. Software / Firmware updates are customer responsibility. HPE offers the service to perform upgrades remotely for a fee, contact support if you are interested in a quote. 

Check compatibility of your current solution with newer software/firmware versions. Use the HPE Interoperability Guide for this. Link here 

Hope it helps. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
CJN7
Occasional Collector

Thanks you Gustenar.

two things I am still nor clear on.  can upgrading of the nodes be done separately than the Simplivity manager upgrade? or does one depend on the other? (I have not read the Simplivity upgrade manager guide as of yet, but it may answer my question). Or am I to treat this as one system so all pieces are required to be upgraded in order for the Simplivity system to work?

Chris

gustenar
HPE Pro

Ideally you would want to use the Upgrade Manager to perform the upgrades. You don't have to do all components at once though, as it a allows to select what you want to upgrade. The Upgrade Manager orchestrates the Simplivity software updates in a way that it doesn't impact the systems, so it is our preferred method. Firmware updates can be done manually, same for ESXi.. it's your choice in the end. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo