3537 Online
109003 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Advice Needed: Memory and CPU Configuration for Synergy 480 Gen10 with ESXi

joper
Occasional Contributor

Advice Needed: Memory and CPU Configuration for Synergy 480 Gen10 with ESXi

Hi everyone,
I am seeking some advice regarding the best configuration for expanding the memory in our Synergy 480 Gen10 servers.

In our current setup, each server has 1 CPU with 24 cores and 12 x 64GB RAM modules installed, in other words all memory slots for the current CPU are occupied.

We need to double the memory in the servers.

Limitations: Due to licensing regulations, we cannot exceed 24 cores per server.

We run VMware ESXi v7 on these servers, with most of the VMs being Windows Server with MS SQL. The majority of these VMs will be configured with 4-6 vCPUs and an average of 16GB RAM per VM.

I am considering the following two options for the upgrade:

Option 1:
1 CPU with 24 cores
12 x 128GB memory modules
Total memory: 1.5TB

Option 2:
2 CPUs with 12 cores each
24 x 64GB memory modules
Total memory: 1.5TB

Option 1 will be cheaper, but from what I understand, we will get somewhat better performance with Option 2. Or is the performance improvement negligible? Maybe it doesn't make a significant difference? Or Option 1 might offer advantages that I haven't fully considered? Or is there no doubt about it, Option 2 is the way to go?

Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Advice Needed: Memory and CPU Configuration for Synergy 480 Gen10 with ESXi

System recommended content:

1. GPU Accelerated Virtual Workstation Performance Characterization on HPE Synergy 480 Gen10

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Advice Needed: Memory and CPU Configuration for Synergy 480 Gen10 with ESXi

Hello,

Please refer to section "Standard Features > Processors" on page 4 of the HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Compute Module's QuickSpecs for information of supported processors, the number of cores per processor. Once the desired processor is ascertained, then you may refer to section "Additional Options > HPE Processors" on page 29 of the above document to identify the option part number for ordering it. Hope this helps.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo