1753317 Members
5044 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Best practices after system board replacement

Dave_Thacker
Contributor

Best practices after system board replacement

I had a system board replaced on one of my SY 480 GEN10 2  blades.   Before the replacement, the service technician recommended updating updating the service profile for that blade and remove the "Server Hardware" assignment.  This would help retain the server's wwn and other info.   

I followed the recomendation, the HPE tech replaced the board, and changed the Serial number to match the original board's.    I then re-assocated the server profile to the blade and re-applied the profile.   The re-applied failed because it could not update some of the firmware.   The error in the event log recommended a cold boot and re-apply.   I pulled the blade and then re-inserted after a 10 minute wait.  The blade is not being seen in the enclosure.    

Support is working on the issue, but I'm wondering if I did the wrong actions or the right actions in the wrong order.   Is there documentation to handle this situation correctly.   Thanks for listening. 

Dave

"Leveraging Synergy across all technology platforms!"--Scott Adams
3 REPLIES 3
tech3d
HPE Pro

Re: Best practices after system board replacement

Hi Dave, Thanks for writing.

Here is the official documentation for the systemboard replacement on a Synergy 480 Gen10 Server:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00058432en_us&docLocale=en_US

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I was holding off some additional information until OneView 5.50 was released.  With this new version, we have added a feature to OneView that will assist in reprogramming the serial number, if we are able to detect the serial number and UUID are null or invalid.  When OneView fails to discover the server/compute correctly, the critical alert that would normally be displayed will have a new message:

New Error Message.png

Clicking on this new link, will take you to a dialog where you can then manually enter in the serial and part number.  OneView will then reprogram the system board.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

AZ_HPE
Occasional Collector

Hi Dave,

I found this old post and want to add that the spareparts unfortunatly do have a Serialnumber and a UUID programmed so this error will not occur.