2384 Online
109025 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE synergy satelite module

cer113
Frequent Advisor

HPE synergy satelite module

HI

I have setup Synergy 12000 frame and it is working all good. However although I have installed 50 GBps link module I am not really sure what it actually does. All explanations on HPE site are very dry and dont allow you to understand what Satelite interconnect does

I have 2 frames connected all working good with vCenter however explanations are very dry so I just installed it not knowing what it actually does

2 REPLIES 2
DanCernese
HPE Pro

Re: HPE synergy satelite module

Assuming your two frames are configured in a "high availability" configuration-- that would mean there's only one HPE Virtual Connect 100Gb F32 module in each frame; the 50Gb ILM modules extend the switch ports from those module to cover all the other compute modules.

Maybe one resource to help get a feel is the https://www.hpe.com/info/synergy-cabling-guide

See https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00045102en_us&page=GUID-E6210B12-E1F2-4047-BE40-14C9EB3870C2.html

Usually feature descriptions are found in "QuickSpecs":   a00067743enw

HPE Synergy 50Gb Interconnect Link Module

The HPE Synergy 50Gb Interconnect Link Module, satellite module, is designed for Composable Infrastructure. Based on disaggregated, rack-scale design, it uses a primary/satellite architecture to consolidate data center network connections, reduce hardware and scale network bandwidth across multiple HPE Synergy Frames. This module extends HPE composable fabric up to four additional satellite frames with 25/50Gb connectivity to Synergy Compute Modules and replaces a fixed ratio of interconnects in each frame by extending the fluid pool of network resources. 

The primary module contains intelligent networking capabilities that extend connectivity to frames equipped with satellite modules. This reduces the need for top of rack switches and substantially decreases cost. The reduction in components simplifies fabric management at scale while consuming fewer ports at the data center aggregation layer.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
support_s
System Recommended

Query: HPE synergy satelite module

System recommended content:

1. HPE Synergy 12000 Frame Site Planning Guide

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo