New Discussion

Re: lifecycle of a oneview alert

SOLVED
Go to solution
placka
Regular Visitor

lifecycle of a oneview alert

Hi all

from curiosity Im asking my self if teh alert is generated with an uri ex. /rest/alerts/2 and its in state Active or Locked. Once the condition that generated alert will be resolved the alert goes to state Cleared and the uri remains the same /rest/alerts/2 ?

The idea is to get alerts that are active or locked - after a while get alerts that have been cleared - and pair this information. Or the uri is always the same and there is another way how to identify eg. pair the cleared alert with the active/locked alert.

Reading from docu alertState - The system will automatically set the state of an alert to Cleared if the severity of alert is OK. 

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/enterprise/servers/oneview5.0/cicf-api/en/index.html#rest/alerts

Thanks a lot for hints

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Essentially, the URI of an alert will perpetually be the URI.  While the unique ID is a numerical value, it would end at 9223372036854775807, and then roll over back to 1.  So needless to say, no one should ever get close to that number.

Slight edit here:  I should say that the alert URI should always be the assigned URI, unless the alert can be deleted.  Not all alerts can be deleted.  But if it does, the numerical value isn't assigned again until roll over.  Which I have already established should never happen.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

placka
Regular Visitor

Hi

thanks for insight.

S its my understanding that:

1. some alert will be generated ( shortened and simlified )

with:

some problem AAA

uri /rest/alerts/2

alertstate: active

2. situation that generated the alert will pass - will the uri remain the same ? ( in between there was another alert generated with /rest/alert/3 some problem BBB )

some problem AAA

uri /rest/alert/2

alertstate cleared

or it will be

some problem AAA

uri /rest/alert/4

alertstate cleared

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

The state of the alert does not change the URI of the alert.  If there is an external source that is indicating the change of state, a new alert would be generated to indicate the status of that external resource has changed, and the correlated alert is cleared.  This is mostly when there is a physical problem with a server.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo