HPE Synergy
1768308 Members
2861 Online
108966 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SSP 2023.08.01 no longer available for download?

SOLVED
Go to solution
PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

SSP 2023.08.01 no longer available for download?

I was working with an HPE PointNext Services installerlast week setting up a new Synergy environment and he kindly pointed out that SSP 2023.08.01 had been recalled and he advised me to downgrade any systems on which I've already applied it - although he did not know the specific reason for the SSP removal.

I've searched HPE Support Center Bulleins, Advisories and Notices and I cannot find any mention of this.  However I did find the Announcement of the availbility of 2023.08.01 Document ID: a00134020en_us intact and still available. but that Announcement has not been updated to reflect the 2023.08.01 SSP no longer being available.  Looking at the HPE Synergy Software Releases - Overview page, I can clearly see that 2023.08.01 is no longer listed as the recommended SSP for any version of Oneview, and that previous SSP version 2023.05.01 is re-listed there instead.  Is there an announcement or advisory document of this 2023.08.01 SSP removal that I have overlooked? Am I not looking in the right places?  And if not why is this type of seemingly-significant removal not made more visible to customers?

I've already loaded that SSP on a number of Synergy environments, so naturally I'm quite interested to know the *exact* reason for this SSP no longer being available. Is it a matter of components released in that 2023.08.01 SSP causing specific problems with specific hardware and configurations, a la the issue described in this Advisory for the specific combination of Synergy 660 Gen10 Compute Modules, 4820C/6820C CNAs and System ROM I43 v2.80?  Or is it something else, more universally applicable to all Synergy environments?

4 REPLIES 4
DanCernese
HPE Pro
Solution

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00134268en_us

For HPE OneView versions prior to 8.50 and managing HPE Synergy Gen11 compute modules configured with the controllers listed in the Scope section below, a potential data loss issue may occur when running NS204i-d Gen11 Boot Storage Device firmware version 1.2.14.1010. This version has been included in SSP 2023.08.01.

OneView version 8.50 will be released in late August 2023.

Note: The RAID created by the NS204i-d Gen11 Boot Storage Device is intended only for the Operating System (OS).

As a result, HPE has decided to unpublish SSP 2023.08.01 to prevent further exposure to this issue.

SSP 2023.08.02 will be published without the affected firmware in early September 2023.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
DanCernese
HPE Pro

HPE OneView 8.50 was released this morning that resolves this issue.. ..however, the re-release of SSP 2023.08.02 will take another week (less hopefully).

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, Dan.  Turns out I was looking at results of the default filtered "List of active and dismissed Bulletins for your products published within the last 30 days." when I *should* have been looking at the View Product Alerts for all products link and checking all the boxes for Document Subtypes. and filtering on Product Type: Synergy.  I have neither of the NS204i-d boot controller nor any HPE Synergy 480 Gen11 compute modules in my environment so I guess that's why I didn't see it initially.  Appreciate your quick response!

DanCernese
HPE Pro

Glad you found it.  HPE acted quickly and proactively to limit exposure.  Unfortuantely we can remove the risky bits faster than we can review and publish the advisories.  Also, the HPE Synergy Software Release page(s) were already in the middle of planned release for OneView 8.50 so it was impossible for us to put something there quickly.. ..but things will get sorted out by the time the SSP 2023.08.02 is republished.  Sorry for the confusion-- HPE Services and partners should have access to the links advisory so they know what was affected.

If you already have the SSP and you are not affected by the scope you can continue to use it-- HPE removed it because we cannot control where it goes once published and it may get copied into environments that are at risk.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo