HPE Synergy
1772798 Members
2603 Online
109025 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SY 660 and 4820c/6820c UMCE Advisory - any new information?

PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

SY 660 and 4820c/6820c UMCE Advisory - any new information?

Exactly two months ago n August 3, HPE published Customer Advisory a00134029en_us - HPE Synergy 660 Gen10 Compute Module - Uncorrectable Machine Check Exception (UMCE) Messages May Be Displayed When Configured With HPE Synergy 4820C/6820C CNAs And Running System ROM I43 v2.80

This Advisory indicates only Synergy SY660 Gen10 nodes with 4820c/6820c CNA hardware and System ROM I43 v2.80 as the problematic combination; it does not mention any other variables like firmware rev of the CNA,  firmware version of the VC's, or OS version - so I assume this issue affects ALL OS's and fiirmware versions of those devices, and is only tied to the BIOS version 2.80?  I have a large number of this exact combination compute module at that BIOS level with 6820c CNA adapters in my environment and have not experienced the UMCE issue to date, thankfully - I know the Advisory states "in very rare instances" so maybe I've just been lucky, 

Shortly after the advisory was posted, SSP 2023.08.02 was released which included a new 6820c firmware 8.65.08,  but nothing in the fixlist indicates that the 8.65.08 CNA firmware resolves this particular issue, nor has there been any update to the Advisory to state that it does. Then, subsequent to the publishing of SSP 2023.08.02, a new SY 660 I43 BIOS v2.90 was released, but similary nothing in THAT fixlist indicates that the 2.90 BIOS rev resolves this particular issue either, and again there has not been any update to the Advisory to state that it does. 

Will this issue evetually be addressed via a >2.90 ROM releaser? Just wondering if there has been any progress further identifying or resolving the issue, or at least narrowing it down to specific firmware version(s) of related components?

1 REPLY 1
thutchings
HPE Pro

Re: SY 660 and 4820c/6820c UMCE Advisory - any new information?

Hello,

I just checked and this is still under investigation / testing with the development team. There is currently no ETA or specific BIOS version identified that will contain the fix for this. However, I do expect that the fix will likely come in the form of a BIOS update.

Regards

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo