New Discussion

Re: Synergy SSP firmware baselines

SOLVED
Go to solution
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Synergy SSP firmware baselines

Hi

Is it acceptable to have the Synergy Infrastructure firmware baseline at a lower version to the compute modules?

Eventaully we will bring everything up to the same level, but I have an urgent need to update the firmware on the compute modules to meet the minimum versions for the storage arrays, but don't yet want to update the ICMs until I have an agreed maintenance window.

Is there a recommendation on how far apart these baselines can be before it may start to have an impact? I'm looking to keep the ICMs on 2021.02.02 and update the compute modules only to 2022..02.01.

Hopefully by the end of this year, all the firmware and OneView levels will be updated to the latest versions anyway but I just need ti uodate the compute modules sooner.

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
DanCernese
HPE Pro
Solution

HPE only validates the infrastructure being the same or newer than the compute modules.  We have never validated the opposite and therefore it is not supported.  Nobody knows extactly what will work or not.

Not to mention 2021.02.02 was supported only up until HPE OneView 6.50.  You could update HPE OneView as far as 6.60 but not any further until you update all the ICMs and then computes.  ..after that phase you could then bring HPE OneView to current if you have HPE Synergy Composer2 (otherwise Composer (1st gen) will be restricted to 6.60 but both of those go EOSL this year).

If your plan is only to bring the compute modules to 2022.02.01, you will be able to update HPE OneView to current-- but 2022.02.01 will go EOSL this year.

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
DanCernese
HPE Pro

Just curious:  "...update the firmware on the compute modules to meet the minimum versions for the storage arrays".  Are the ICMs already at the minimum version for the storage arrays?

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hey Dan

Thanks for your replies

The array vendor was only concerned with the firmware versions of the CNA adapters and didn't comment on the infrastrcuture components - so I don't know if the array needs a specific ICM firmware version. But as you've stated that the ICMs need to be on the same bundle version or higher, then these will need to be updated anyhow.

many thanks

DanCernese
HPE Pro

"The array vendor was only concerned with the firmware versions of the CNA adapters "

The CNAs are not what is physically connected to the storage.  Someone needs to take a step back and confirm the entire infrastructure plan is addressed.  Also, the storage vendor is responsible for their validation that Virtual Connect modules are supported and at what firmware levels (not HPE).  

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Rama2
HPE Pro

It's recommended to keep the Synergy Infrastructure and compute modules at the same firmware version to avoid potential problems. If they're not maintained together, you might encounter issues like pause floods or performance problems on the NIC ports.

While you can upgrade the Synergy Infrastructure first and then the compute modules, it's generally advised to maintain them at the same firmware version for smoother operation.

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo