4273 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: More NTA after upgrade

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

More NTA after upgrade

NTA-FTP.png

After my upgrade to 7.3 my NTA was working as previous. I had a couple of interface tasks and a probe task, all working fine. 

FTP on imc server receiving probe traffic.

Went to change the settings on the NTA server and the ftp server would not be saved. Red error message:

Server is not install FTP. The username or password is error. 

The FTp server, username and password are all good. I deleted and redeploed the probe. No luck there except my embedded existing config stopped working.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
jguse
HPE Pro

Hello Neil,

I've had a look at this in the Lab with IMC E0703 (upgraded) and NTA E0506, and can't seem to reproduce this - though I have a probe configured, it does not exist at the moment (was deleted in the past).

The deployment succeeds except for the probe deployment that fails - but it does not prevent using the Deploy option with the error that you are seeing.

clipboard_image_0.png

I can see on my FTP Server that there was a successful login for the user that I configured on the Server Settings page:

clipboard_image_1.png

Do you see the same on your third-party FTP server? Are there any failed login attempts?

What version of NTA are you running at the moment?

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

The probe was logging in and uploading data up until I decided to change the configuration. So whatever values were in the DB were still in use. The UI could not update however.

So when I see the message there is no login on the ftp server (filezilla 0.9.5.7) which is installed on the imc server ( as is all functionality) after I hit the deploy button - successful or failure - just does not connect. at all.

It won't deploy until the probe is unchecked.

I verified with a separate FTP client that the credentials were working properly, and the server shows successful connection for that.

iMC NTA 7.3 (E0506P02) - deployed to work around the time zone issue

UPDATE: I had a backup so I undeployed the NTA modules and redeployed. After the server came back up i checked the DB unba_master.tbl_unba_server_config - this is where the ftp and server info is being stored. The single record was in the default state. No FTP user id or pw.

There were no devices listed in unba_master.tbl_unba_device

I then added the probe. This was now listed in the unba_master.tbl_unba_device table. I then tried to deploy. Same error as before.

After upgrade unba_master.tbl_unba_server_config,  I could still see the ftp user and pw but could not change

After re-deployment could not add - still blank.

So both after upgrade, and after a re-deploy could not re-configure the ftp/probe info.

Looks like the code has an issue? the data was reset w the redeploy.

3Naga
Advisor

Hi Neil,

Thank you for Writing.

Yes most probable to be a Code issue that needs to be verified.

May we have the logs from the IMCfaultdm for review as we need to check the reason for Re-deploy there could be db table errors and each error needs to be rectified according to the error code from the logs.

Also we recommend suggest that a case to be logged with our support for detailed analysis so that we can remote in to check the behavior and capture logs required to analyse further.

Thanks,

Accept or Kudo
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Logs from NTA have been submitted.

DB disconnect happened again, so I further increased the connections. Logs also submitted.

Note with the higher connection settings the modules at least continued to run, although I guess data was not being further collected.

3Naga
Advisor

Hi Neil,

Thank you for writing 

We have tried to replicate the issue in his lab with no luck and also have not seen this issue occure before or a known issue for which we have work around/solution for fix

Since the issue is observed only in your environment we might have to look at it more deeper and analyse on remote support to understand the environment and the issue.

We recommend to have a support case logged with us to further investigate and work together to fix the issue.

Thanks,

Accept or Kudo
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

yes a case is being opened for escalation. 

I just did undeploy, remove, reboot, then re-install. Same result. That indicates possible bad data elsewhere in the dB as the NTA tables get deleted.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

This has been under review for quite a while and finally have it working again.

For recap its about the vmon probe, deployed using the OVA file, NOT the dedicated probe built up on RHEL.

E504 was built on Centos 5.8. E505 and later is built on 6.5. These later OVAs are missing some installation and configuration bits, that kept them from working properly.

While it seemed to me the earlier versions were pretty much the same, the OVA version is supposed to match the NTA release. I tried the earlier version and its not compatable but by looking at the details of how it was configured, working with HPE we were able to figure out what was missing or misconfigured.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Most recent work with support has resolved most of the issues with NTA in version 7.3 E0509 for use with the VM probe E0509 ova for monitoring vmware traffic

the new version resolved the issue of runing in a primary standby server configuration where the standby would take over the probe traffic during the nightly autobackup phase. Also resolved were some issue with configuration of the probe interfaces on recent previous versions. However the root password on the probe does not match previous docs for deploying the ova, so you may need to reset the passoword - easy enough to do.

You must be running the latest platform release e0705 - I'm running P02. I did not upgrade to that version until the NTA version was mad avaialble to me. Unfortuantely I'm experiencing other issues:

Live update does not work - so I can 't tell you if NTA version is avaialbe there yet.

Also WSM in the platform has another update e0604 which no longer displays my previous data, so I'd suggest stopping with the version that came with the platform update for now.