1752786 Members
5894 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Insight-RS 7.6 upgrade - some customers reporting this ends in "Error"

toddg1
HPE Pro

Insight-RS 7.6 upgrade - some customers reporting this ends in "Error"

Some customers are reporting that updating Insight-RS to the 7.6 release via Software Manager ends in "ERROR" state.
(NOTE: this also leaves the I-RS in a stopped state, and the services need to be restarted)

The installation program correctly detects that the I-RS services will not stop, and doesn't attempt to continue to install.

The SWM log file:
%HP_RS_LOG%swm_inst_hprs7kit.log

If installed from a downloaded package: (note, the "N" varies, look for the newest one) Depending on where the upgrade stopped, the file may be:
%TEMP%hprs_msi_install-N.log
or
%HP_RS_LOG%hprs_msi_install-N.log

Will contain this information: (search for "CAimmEarlyStopServices. Return value 3")

MSI (s) (C4:34) [12:49:47:632]: Doing action: CAimm_EarlyStopServices
Action ended 12:49:47: CAimm_ManageDbDir. Return value 1.
Action start 12:49:47: CAimm_EarlyStopServices.
CustomAction:CA_ExtraStopServices: CustomActionData: 'C:\ProgramData\HP\RS\DATA\DATABASE\;CAimm_ManageDbDir'
CustomAction:CA_ExtraStopServices: Listing HPRS processes:
CustomAction:: ListServices(): INFO: ListServices() starting.
CustomAction:: ListServices(): DEBUG: Attempting WMI Query "Select * from Win32_Service  WHERE Name LIKE 'HPRS%'"
CustomAction:: ListServices(): DEBUG: Found service 'HP Insight Remote Support' (HPRSMAIN): state=Running  status=OK
CustomAction:: ListServices(): DEBUG: Found service 'HP Insight RS Event Receiver' (HPRSRECEIVERS): state=Running  status=OK
CustomAction:: ListServices(): INFO: returning list of 2 processes.
CustomAction:CA_ExtraStopServices: Attempt to stop service HPRSMAIN returned 7: The service did not respond to the start request in a timely fashion.
CustomAction:CA_ExtraStopServices: Attempt to stop service HPRSRECEIVERS returned 0: The request was accepted.
CustomAction:CA_ExtraStopServices: Stopped 1 of 2
MSI (s) (C4:34) [12:50:27:890]: Note: 1: 2265 2:  3: -2147287035 
MSI (s) (C4:34) [12:50:27:890]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (C4:34) [12:50:27:890]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2 
Action ended 12:50:27: CAimm_EarlyStopServices. Return value 3.
MSI (s) (C4:34) [12:50:27:890]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2 
MSI (s) (C4:34) [12:50:27:890]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
MSI (s) (C4:34) [12:50:27:890]: Unlocking Server
Action ended 12:50:27: INSTALL. Return value 3.

If you see this in the log file, then you need to set the "Upgrade Policy to "Manually" in the I-RS Administrator Settings | Software Updates" tab:

Reboot the server - wait about 20 minutes for the services to settle down and get fully started, and then manually apply the upgrade again.

NOTE: do not manually stop the services prior to upgrading, as the upgrade depends on the services running.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
1 REPLY 1
dcolpitts
Frequent Advisor

Re: Insight-RS 7.6 upgrade - some customers reporting this ends in "Error"

Hi Todd - I'm getting an error in upgrade, but my error is a 1603 because the pg_dumpall.exe fails to connect to the Postgres database when msiexec executes hprs7kit.msi... I beleive the error is

pg_dumpall: could not connect to database "template1": could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274d/10061).
Error: Database backup failed. File 'C:\ProgramData\HP\RS\DATA\PERSISTENCE\UPGRADE\database.sql' missing.

I detailed how I fixed it in my blog, which is here:  http://blog.jbgeek.net/2016/04/02/hpe-insight-remote-support-7-6-auto-upgrade-fails/

dcc