New Discussion юеВ

HP Procurve Switch - Adding an existing trunk to a new vlan

SOLVED
Go to solution
fakiee
Occasional Advisor

HP Procurve Switch - Adding an existing trunk to a new vlan

Hi,

I need some help creating a new vlan on a switch then adding an existing trunk to that vlan. I tried using the web gui but i was only able to work out how to create the vlan and add a port, but I need to add the existing trunk - and the form only allows me to enter port numbers, not trk1 for example.

I'm way out of my depth here so any help much appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Procurve Switch - Adding an existing trunk to a new vlan

What HP ProCurve Switch series you are referring to?

Generally via CLI adding an interface (Physical or Logical) to an existing VLAN as tagged or untagged member is a matter of one (or two) command...like, considering you are positioned on the right VLAN id context yet, this one: tagged Trk1 (or untagged Trk1) .

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
fakiee
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Parnassus,

Its a HP 2920-48G Switch (J9728A).  The vlan exists already and is assigned ports.  

How in the CLI can i select the required vlan then add the trunk to it (trk60 in this case),

Also when creating a trunk in the CLI it auto assigned it to the default VLAN.  

When creating a new trunk can i assign it to another vlan, and not the default one.

Also if i add the trunk to an existing VLAn will this affect the vlan, remove existing trunnks, or ports?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Splitting a quoted message looks nearly impossible lately...or, at best, it is very difficult.

Below your questions and my answers:

How in the CLI can i select the required vlan then add the trunk to it (trk60 in this case).

Once logged as manager into your Aruba 2920's CLI enable the configuration mode using the configure command. Enter the VLAN id X context with the command vlan X (X is the VLAN id you want work on)...once there you have a set of related command (use tab to see them or to autocomplete a command you typed with initials) you can use specifically in the particular context you are working on (to exit any context use exit).

Also when creating a trunk in the CLI it auto assigned it to the default VLAN.

Correct, it's default behaviour (also when you remove a physical interface from a Trk it happens the same).

When creating a new trunk can i assign it to another vlan, and not the default one.

Yes you can, any Trunk (here I use the TrkN naming as example) can be assigned to a different VLAN as its untagged member or to various different VLANs as their tagged member, relevant commands (exectued into the VLAN Id X context) are:

untagged TrkN (for untagging)

tagged TrkN (for tagging)

or, if you are outside the VLAN Id context (just when you enter the configuration mode) you can work directly invoking a command that alter a specific interface (or interfaces, if a range is provided) setting:

interface ethernet TrkN untagged vlan X

interface ethernet TrkN tagged vlan Y (or V,Z,W,etc. as needed)

Remember that TrkN is just a logical interface.

Also if i add the trunk to an existing VLAn will this affect the vlan, remove existing trunnks, or ports?

No. It only affects the membership of TrkN to VLAN Id(s) you are setting...this membership doesn't alter VLAN Id(s) or other ports assignments to these VLAN Id(s) (apart - that's clear - from TrkN's physical member ports).

Remember to save your running configuation with the write memory comand.

On asp.arubanetworks.com you will easily find all documents (manuals) you need to learn how to deal with CLI, VLANs and Trunks.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner