108795 Solutions
New Discussion

MSR Router MIrroring Doesn't Display QoS Marking for Some Traffic

SOLVED
Go to solution
BudMax
Occasional Contributor

MSR Router MIrroring Doesn't Display QoS Marking for Some Traffic

While building QoS mechanisms between MSR2000/3000 routers, I create a mirror port  to monitor the router link port with Wireshark to verify proper DSCP marking, policing, etc.

Most traffic is displayed with the correct marking.   Using an advanced ACL, we mark inbound and outbound system traffic (OSPF, SNMP) for high priority.  The OSPF traffic leaving the monitored router does not show the correct marking, however.   Fortunately, the ingress packets are correct when they arrive at the peer router (the important part!), but strangely those same egress packets do not appear wth the appropriate marking on a local mirrored port.

That makes me curious.  Does mirroring occur before QoS is applied to some (system-level) packets? Do I need a special switch on the mirror group to enable viewing of the raw router protocols as they are actually transmitted?  Or can that be seen only on the peer for some reason?

Are other protocols or types of traffic subject to the same issue?

I haven't found any documentation that provides the internal structure and connectivity for the MSR.  Detailed info would be valuable to help design QoS.  Is that info available anywhere?

Thanks,

Bud

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSR Router MIrroring Doesn't Display QoS Marking for Some Traffic

I think you are seeing:
"The QoS policy applied to the outgoing traffic on an interface does not regulate local packets, which are critical protocol packets sent by the local system for operation maintenance. The most common local packets include link maintenance, routing (IS-IS, BGP, and OSPF for example), RIP, LDP, RSVP, and SSH packets."

Although, I don't know why you are trying to mark this stuff through policy - the router should be marking all this stuff as "7" anyway.

BudMax
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Mr. WW;

That explains what I'm seeing.  Where is that quote from?  Doing a search, I don't find it in either of the ACL/QoS Config or Reference manuals.

Re: re-classifying, you're correct. - the network control traffic is marked by default with CS6.  To comply with existing systems, the end-user Customer specified AF41 for that traffic, along with high-priority ADVPN control traffic.  Not our choice. 

Thanks again for your response.

Best Regards,

Bud

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I should have linked the quote. My version of the ACL/QoS manual is quite old, but it's under the section heading:
Applying the QoS policy to an interface

HP MSR2000/3000/4000 Router Series ACL and QoS Configuration Guide (V7)
Document version: 6PW100-20130927

Also, remapping priority network traffic CS6 & CS7 to AF41 (competing with video) is insane, as you no doubt would like to tell them...