New Discussion

Re: Query on VRRP on Core switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Imranjith
Frequent Visitor

Query on VRRP on Core switches

Dear Team,

we have J8697A (K.15.04.0003) core switch in pur network.  We have another Coreswith J9850A (KB.16.04.0018) as a cold spare.
Is it recommended that we can configure VRRP on J8697A and J9850A to add to network for redundancy ?

Thanks,

Ranjith

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi! a VRRP deployment configured on those two routing switches should work provided that (a) you're going to follow configuration best practices and (b) you try to use switches up-to-date, if I were you I'll avoid a deployment with cited software versions (both switches should be updated to respective latest software branches available at present date, that's particulary important on the oldest one, the HP ProCurve 5400 zl J8697A [*]).

[*] IIRC the VRRP feature requires a Premium License (check with the show licenses CLI command to understand if/what features are eventually already licensed and available, ready to be deployed, on your switch).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello, 

Agree with everything Parnassus wrote. Just to add something about the premium license. The requirement to have a premium license for VRRP, OSPF, PIM QinQ etc was removed in version K.15.16.0004.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04493265

Enhancement (CR_0000151228) - Premium Features Permanently Enabled. The features available with a Premium License are permanently enabled when this software is loaded on a switch. These features are: OSPFv2, OSPFv3, PIM Sparse Mode, PIM Dense mode, VRRP, QinQ (IEEE 802.1ad), BGP, and VRRPv3.

That means it if update to any version higher than K.15.016.0004 the features will be permanently enabled without the need for a license.
I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Sssshhh...it was a surprise (but only if the OP will update its HP ProCurve 5400 zl Switch)! Don't we really think that, as of today, a fresh new VRRP setup would be deployed by using the K.15.04.0003 - a 9 years old - software version, isn't it? don't speak too loud...

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Imranjith
Frequent Visitor

Dear All,

Thanks for your prompt responses. Appreciated.

Thanks,
Ranjith
SimpleSparrow

Thank you for the information and advice!