M and MSM Series
1748249 Members
3666 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to configure multiple VSC to be applied to Muitple MSM 470 Controllers when is teaming mode

Rexel_Canada_IT
Visitor

How to configure multiple VSC to be applied to Muitple MSM 470 Controllers when is teaming mode

Hello,

I have two HP MSM 470 controllers that are teamed together. I have 4 VSC configured. Guest, Smart, Secure, ASAP. Each HP MSM470 controller has 60 AP units it controlls. I have run into a problem, where the Second HP MSM470 controller is not accepting devices that want to connect to "Guest", "Smart", but will connect device on "Secure" and "ASAP" The first Controller is not having any issues with devices connecting to all 4 VSC.

The question becomes, how do get the "Guest" and "Smart" VSC's to be configured on the second HP MSM 470 controller. so the AP units can allow deives to connect to "Guest" and "Smart"

Added note, any devices that connect to an HP MSM 460 AP unit on the second Controller, the "Guest" and "Smart" VSC dish out IP addresses of either 169.254.x.x or 0.0.0.0

Both "Guest" and "Smart" are configure into two seperate DHCP Scopes, "Guest" uses WPA or WPA2 with key shared password, "Smart" requires the users to authenicate with using a an AD account and valid password using WPA2 only with 802.1x authenication turned on.

Any suggestions..thanks

1 REPLY 1
Arimo
Respected Contributor

Re: How to configure multiple VSC to be applied to Muitple MSM 470 Controllers when is teaming mode

I'm sorry but this is very unclear. First of all there is no MSM 470 controller, never has been.

Once a team has been formed, you don't configure the team members separately. All configuration is done on the team's management interface, and the team Manager will push the configuration to the Member.

The 169.254.0.0 -IP range doesn't originate from the MSM. This is used as APIPA IP range - if a device doesn't receive an IP address from a DHCP server, it will assume an IP in this range. Since you're teaming, you must use an external DHCP server, so it's possible there's a connectivity issue between the member controller and the DHCP server on the VLANs where the problematic VSCs egress. Ensure that the controller's LAN and Internet ports do not belong to the same VLANs on the connecting switch, and ensure that the port VLAN Membership is confiugred the same way to both members of the team.

After that the easiest way might be to simply delete the problematic VSCs in the team's mgmt interface, and just re-create them using the Automated workflows.

Yet another thing is to check what FW version you're currently running. I'm pretty sure we fixed at some point an issue with DHCP relay and member controllers; can't from the top of my head remember which version(s) was/were affected tho'.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer