New Discussion

Re: New VSC performance extremely slow

SOLVED
Go to solution
mhc19
Occasional Advisor

New VSC performance extremely slow

Hi all,

I would appreciate any help/advise on this one.  This is very odd to me.  Basically I have an environment with an 8212zl at the core, 5400's at the access layers.  I have a single MSM765zl controller in one of the 5400s.  I have about 200 MSM422 AP's.  Originally we had three VSC's configured, 1 public/guest, 2 privates.  I was in need of creating another private VSC, which I did.  I first created a new vLAN (55)and gave it IP address on the 8212 switch.  I then tagged it on all my trunk ports to all my edge switches.  I also tagged new vlan (55) on the LAN port of the MSM765zl.  I also tagged vlan 55 on all my switch ports that the AP's are connected to.  On the 8212, I configured an IP helper address for that vlan.  Naturally on my DHCP server I created a scope.  Once done, I then created another VSC, and just copied the same exact config from the one existing VSC, just changing the SSID of course and preshared key. 

I then took my iPad, connected it to that new VSC, linked right up.  Perfect, check IP settings, go the right IP/GW/SM/DNS etc that the scope was supplying.  I then browsed the web, although it "worked" it was dog slow, like dial up  slow.  I have 10G links between all my switches, my internet pipe is 50mbps.  I then ran a speed test using a speed test app out to the internet, was getting 100kbps.  If I connect to the original VSC, internet is blazing, speed test shows approx 45mpbs out to internet.  Basically, what the heck?  The VSC config is EXACTLY the same, as is the network config.  Why is the speed so drastically different?

2 REPLIES 2
mhc19
Occasional Advisor

Let me add additional info. On the MSM controller, I created a new network profile vLAN (55) and then went and assigned and IP address to the VLAN on the Network->Ports page. I have the egress port the same as the other VSC, LAN port. Do I even need to put an IP address on the vlan inside the controller, I would think not, but without it I get no internet at all.

Also, if I connect with my win 7 desktop to the new VSC I connect at 6mbps, and connecting to the old VSC I get max connection speeds.
mhc19
Occasional Advisor
Solution

For whatever reason after a couple of days I have had no issues with this new VSC in regards to performance.  It is now working just like my other VSC's.