M and MSM Series
1752577 Members
4065 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Using SQL Express for Guest Management Software database?

Jon_S
Occasional Visitor

Using SQL Express for Guest Management Software database?

GMS 5.4 lists support for MS SQL 2005 and 2008 in the documentation, but does not specifically say anything about SQL Express.  Can SQL Express be used as the DB for the Guest Management software?

I ask because I have a customer that does not have a database server that has direct access to their MSM 760 controller, but they would like to have multiple stations manage guest accounts.  They are willing to set up an older PC, but they don't want to spend a load on server and SQL licensing just to authenticate guest users.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide here.

-Jon 

10 REPLIES 10
Jon_S
Occasional Visitor

To answer my own question, Yes, SQL Express can be used.

One issue I ran in to was using the default settings during the SQL Express setup, it will set up a named instance of SQL called 'SQLExpress'.  This caused me a bit of a headache at first because I had to call the reference the database server as '.\SQLExpress' in the GMS config.

You will also have to give your GMS account db_creator and db_owner roles in the GMS database you set up.

-Jon

davehedgehog
Advisor

Hi,

I am having a similar issue with the GMS software and SQL Express 2005

There is an existing instance called BKUPEXEC on the server which is used by the backup software.

I have created a new empty database called 'gms' and also a user called 'gms'

gms has db_owner role and is a db_creator on the server

On the config screen the for the guest management software I have chosen Microsoft SQL Server and now need to know the correct format for the hostname etc

I have tried using just the hostname, also tried .\BKUPEXEC and SERVERNAME\BKUPEXEC but nothing works

I can connect fine if I setup an ODBC connection using the same credentials. Help please!!!! :-)

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Im having the same issue with MSSQL2005.. created a dbuser and db with the right credentials (tested with sql client), but still the GMS tells me it cannot connect to the database.

My server also have instances but I didnt know if GMS even supported instances so I created the database in the "default" instance. I've opened a case to HP support today, waiting to hear back from them.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

davehedgehog
Advisor

OK please let me know if you find an answer

peter massey
Regular Visitor

Also have the same issue, when connecting I just get an error

"GMS cannot access database"

I have made a new database and new user with correct roles/permissions but still no joy

GMS ver "GMS_5.5.0.1_B136" but have also tried other versions. SQLExpress2008

HELP

Pete

peter massey
Regular Visitor

I have managed to connect after making the foloowing change.

On the SQL 2008 server under TCP/IP check that the IP ALL section has TCP 1433 set. I had set up interface for this but not the IP ALL

All working

mombix
Frequent Visitor

Thanks!!!

i´ve also had this problem ... your tip rescuses my day :-)

SQL-Server Config manager -> Protocols -> TCP/IP -> IP-Addresses -> IPAll-Interface , TCP: 1433

Thanks

Tobias

Colin_Airpass
Occasional Advisor

Great advice, gonna give it try now.

Thanks fellas.

Colin_Airpass
Occasional Advisor

One additional thing that is probably worth checking guys.....

when making the IPALL changes above, check that the individual IP interfaces are enabled as well as active in the Srvr Config Manager - SrVR Network COnfig - Protocols - TCP/IP - IP Addresses tab.

mine now works....

Thanks for your help fellas.