3230 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 2050 SAN painfully slow

avitlana
Occasional Contributor

MSA 2050 SAN painfully slow

Hi all,

I have a speed issue when copying files from network shared folders hosted on my MSA 2050 to any of the domain computers.

I have two storage pools hosting HP 1.2TB 10k SAS drives. Storage pool A hasn't really been used and has a single volume, whereas storage pool B has 2 volumes and is the primary storage for the vast majority of my virtual machines.

Now when I try to copy a file of say 100MB to any computer in the domain, it's criminally slow, like it takes more than a minute to copy a single 100MB file.

The hardware is in good condition and all disks are healthy.

What can I do here, where should I start digging?

thanks

1 REPLY 1
JonPaul
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2050 SAN painfully slow

@avitlana 
Is the slowdown between the MSA and the host (Connected to the MSA) or from the host to the computer in the domain?
Do you get the same performance when the 100MB file is coming from the MSA or coming from the local disk on the host?
If this issue is only when the file comes from the MSA,  what protocol and are there switches?
Is it possible you are having an infrastructure issue?
What about your multipath software on the host?  seeing all paths? round-robin or other loadbalancing?

Now onto the MSA:
Check the ports are they at good status?
Check the -statistics:  show controller-statistics, show pool-statistics, show disk-group-statistics, show disk-statistics
Are any of these showing bad details
You should also check for unwriteable cache:  CLI>  show unwriteable-cache
Unwriteable cache comes from data being in cache when the volume/disk-group/pool disappears (gets deleted).  Unwriteable cache is data that the host thinks has been written to disk so don't just clear it.  It is recommended to work with HPE support to validate ay unwriteable cache is really data you do not need.

I work for HPE