New Discussion юеВ

MSA 2060 configuration with only SSD

SOLVED
Go to solution
MichaelPo
Frequent Visitor

MSA 2060 configuration with only SSD

Hello,

i bought a MSA2060 with 2 x 1.9 TB SSD and 11 x 960 GB SSD.

My plan was to create with 4 x 960 GB one group raid10 under pool A, 6 x 960 GB one group raid6 under pool B and 1 x 960 GB as Hotspare.

One of the 1.9 TB SSD should integrated as read-cache for pool A and the other for pool B. But i found out that this is not possible with only SSD disks. But how can i configure now these 2 x 1.9 SSD disks, in the best case for more performance?

And another question. If i have under pool A a group with raid 10 and one with raid 5. And i create a volume with pool a, which raid will be use?

Thanks a lot.

Michael

3 REPLIES 3
Sahana_S
HPE Pro

Re: MSA 2060 configuration with only SSD

Hello @MichaelPo ,

Please refer to the below document for configuring SSDs for the best performance.

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00015961enw

Thanks,
Sahana S.

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi, 

SSD read/write disk groups are referred to performance tier disk groups in MSA.
Read cache cannot be configured when a Pool has performance tier disk group in it.
You may create a RAID 1 disk group using 2 X 1.92TB in Pool A.

From SMU guide:

A pool is an aggregation of one or more disk groups that serves as a container for volumes. A disk group is a group of
disks of the same type, using a specific RAID level. For virtual pools, when volumes are added to the pool, the data is
distributed across the pool's disk groups.

RAID is not configured at volume level.
RAID is configured at disk group level.

MSA 2060 SMU guide:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00128580en_us&docLocale=en_US

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

SSD as Read Cache makes sense for slow SAS and slower SATA Drives.

SSD as Read Cache for SSD only adds more Latency if you have a Cache Miss and makes no sense.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.