1298 Online
108909 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with migration disk (SAN).

Aleksey_8
Occasional Contributor

Problem with migration disk (SAN).

Server1 (Win2k3) connected (FC) MSA1000 and
Server2 (Win2k3) connected (FC)to MSA1000 too.
On SAN, was created disk1 (partition NTFS) and mounted on Server1. Server1 generated some data. One moment this data must be on Server2.
On Server1 in "Disk Management" i dismount disk1 and on Server2 i mount this disk1 but data on this disk don't shows! Disk properties (size, free space and other) shows right. After remounting disk1 on Server1 data was able again. How made access to disk1 on Server2?
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

What you are trying to do is:

- not possible with stock Windows 2003
- not 'data migration' but 'shared filesystem access'

You need additional third-party software like Symantec (Veritas) Cluster or PolyServe.
Else, have Server2 access the data via a file share on Server1.

Please do not continue your experiments. You are wasting your time and corrupting your file system(s).

Trust me - I have seen these things for 20+ years.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Aleksey, Are you using SSP (in the ACU) to assign disk ownership to the host you want to see the data? SSP is short for "Select Storage Presentation". It is OFF by default. Select SSP and Enable it. Then find the WWN of the HBA(s) for the host you want to see the disk and assign it to that disk. If your using dual HBAs do both for that host. DO NOT ASSIGN A DISK TO MORE THAN 1 HOST. OK this and close out of the ACU and go to the host and discover the lun. If you need to present this to another host, you will need to go back through the process above to change the WWN assignment for the LUN. good luck.