New Discussion юеВ

Re: Swapping drives between P2000 G3 SANs

SOLVED
Go to solution
TomBaines
Occasional Contributor

Swapping drives between P2000 G3 SANs

Hi,

We have two SANs in different locations, both P2000 G3s, one is short on drives and the other has an abundance of drives that aren't in use, so we would like to swap some drives from one to the other to make up the shortfall. As a bit of background, the drives in question in the 'source' SAN are all available and are not (nor have they ever been) members of a vDisk or spares. The 'destination' SAN has the free slots it needs for the disks we intend to swap.

I guess I'm looking for potential gotchas more than anything really - can anybody see any issues with me removing drives from one SAN and utilising them in the other? Will the process be as simple as unplugging the drives from 'source' and plugging them in to 'destination'? No requirements for identical firmware versions, or powering down either unit or anything silly like that? (Also would the process be any different if the drives in question had been members of vDisks/spares in case we want to return them later?)

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Nope should be straight forward, actually it would be best to do this as hot plug, that way if there is any config information lurking on the source disks it won't be used (since the disks are scanned for config on boot). Once seen in the GUI of their new home they can be assigned and will be given a new set of metadata :)

As I expected, thanks for the clarification :)