1755692 Members
3207 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lh3000 up grade

sebelin
Occasional Contributor

lh3000 up grade

i have a lh3000 with an internal raid controller (3 hard disk 36 go raid5) i want to put an other dik (73 go hotswap)in my server how can i install it ?(i dont want this new disk in the actual raid 5)
i try to upgrade this lh server pIII 800 with an 2nd proccesseur but the 2 proccesseur is not see bye the windows nt4 server how can i do
think you
yves
4 REPLIES 4
peter demus
Frequent Advisor

hello !

do you want hotswap or a second raid-5-array. or do you mean hot-plug HDD ?

You need to install another HAL-Kernel for NT4. SMP machines should be installed with this also if there is actually only one CPU installed.

You have to set also a registry entry to activate the second CPU if the SMP-HAL-Kernel is already installed.

http://www.i386.com/default.asp?page=docs/admin-mps.htm&category=admin&id=934&keyword=ADMIN

ciao
jepp!
sebelin
Occasional Contributor

i wouldlike an 2nd logical drive hdd like that:
actual config 1 logical drive (3x36go raid 5)
new config 2 logicals drives
1 with the raid 5(3x36 go )actual
2 with the 73 go hdd new
to see to disks
is it piossible ?
yves
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can add new RAID arrays to your LH3000.
The easiest way to do this in Windows is by installing NetRAID Assistant. This is available at:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/servers/software/nrutnt.exe
Your current RAID 5 = Logical Drive 0
Next RAID array created = Logical Drive 1
Next = Logical Drive 2
With two drives ( 2 x 73 GB), can create either a RAID 1 mirror or a RAID 0 (=no fault tolerance.

When NT Server 4.0 is installed with one processor, by default the Windows setup installs the uniprocessor HAL. Need to upgrade HAL to multiprocessor version. This is documented in the HP Knowlegebase:

http://isupport2.hp.com/SearchKB.asp?NewSearch=true

Recommended:
IS8922: : HP Netservers - Changing HAL to Support Dual Processors Under Windows NT ?? Server 4.0
IS8928: HP NetRAID Assistant for Microsoft Windows ??
peter demus
Frequent Advisor

So You leave the existing RAID-5 untouched. no problem

to allocate single drive go with CTRL-M (?) in the BIOS of the NETRAID controller and do "create object". i'm not sure but it should work. look around. select RAID-0 if needed.

bye
jepp!