Netservers
1761439 Members
4446 Online
108902 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver serial number utility:serial number not available or incorrect SOLUTION

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Netserver serial number utility:serial number not available or incorrect SOLUTION

The attached utility would be used after changing the system board or Front Panel Controller, and during POST the serial number is reported incorrectly (US123456789), or an error message appears that the serial number is not available. The front panel controller will also not display the correct serial number. With this utility, the original serial number can be re-programmed into the system.

Note: With apologies, executable file removed for security reasons.

Warren_Admin, HP Enterprise Community Managing Administrator
Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not represent HP

13 REPLIES 13
Jake ~zippo~
Frequent Advisor

Re: Netserver serial number utility:serial number not available or incorrect SOLUTION

That's fabulous!

But if some one changes the serial number from a expired one to one in the warranty,hows it going with the warranty policy?
Freedom is offered to man and given to him as a task.
Richard Seepaul

Re: Netserver serial number utility:serial number not available or incorrect SOLUTION

This message also appears for no other reason than you shutdown and restarted one day and "shazam" there it is.
Allegedly the multiuple areas in CMOS where the serial number is stashed can become corrupted due to power problems not severe enough to reboot the server. You therefore never notice until you need to restart one day. Which with netware servers can be years.
I have had this message materialize when no work has been done on the server for nearly a year i.e. nothing was changed.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Jake, HP trusts that customers will be honest - and verification of support is based on more then simply the serial number which appears during POST.
Jake ~zippo~
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your kindly reply:)

luis_123
Occasional Visitor

Hello i have an lc 2000 netserver i tried this program but i get this error :

781d-00c8 - request data field length limit exceeded

and i tired to use a s/n whit 10 or less chars.

Chris Cook_2

I am also having the same error as Luis when trying to fix the error message saying that the serial number is not available on an LC 2000:

**781D-00C8-Request data field length limit exceeded

I was wondering if anyone had the right syntax or knew why the utility that Terri posted does not work?

I am trying to reset the serial number to hopefully fix another error message on the unit:
0080-51 Net Server Management Console Self Test fail

I have already tried clearing CMOS and reflashing the BIOS.

Thanks,

Chris Cook
cookrx7@n0-spam.yahoo.com
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Chris,

The 0080 error is related to the management board controller on this Netserver LC2000. If you try flashing the System BIOS you will probably see a "SDREDIT" error.
Try the attached MMC flash. Save & unzip. Create the bootable diskette. Read the README file for what to type when the diskette boots to a C: prompt.
If this does not fix the problem, is the server halting on POST with the 0080 error? Is there an associated 0090 error?
Jake ~zippo~
Frequent Advisor

Chris-

Normally, this error message (error code: 0080-51) should be appearing with another error message "0090-64 DIMM management failure"

These two errors are caused by a problem with the MMC (Motherboard Management Controller).

Here are two solutions to resolve this issue:
1.Upgrade BIOS from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English&pnameOID=19399&prodSeriesId=50440&prodTypeId=15351&basePartNum=ns1461&locBasepartNum=ns1461en&os=Cross+OS&tech=BIOS;

2.If this issue can not be resolved by first solution, you might think about replacing Front control panel of this server.

Hope this helps~~

-Jake
Jake ~zippo~
Frequent Advisor

PS:BIOS WOULD BE REFRESHED AFTER CHANGING THE FRONT CONTROL PANEL OR SYSTEM BOARD~~