1753734 Members
4431 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: USB Mallfunction on the LP1000r using W2K server or whatever OS

Cor Cornelisse
Advisor

USB Mallfunction on the LP1000r using W2K server or whatever OS

The USB ports on the LP1000r are simply not responding to anything you plug in. De host bus and the usb root hub seem to be functioning normal, no conflicts or what so ever. Server was installed with Navigator M.04.05 the latest I have running Windows 2000 server SP2.
If anyone shares this problem with me or has fixed it pls let me know how.
It's not a bug, it's a feature
7 REPLIES 7
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Cor,

As far as I know there is no support for USB devices on NetServers. They used to cover up the USB ports but stopped doing that on the LP1000/2000's.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Cor Cornelisse
Advisor

In the specs and the promo material from the lp1000r they do say that the USB should work to connect printers and modems etc. Besides that, if it was only to fill those holes on the backplate, why oh why do I see a USB root hub and something else in my device manager??
I still think it should work
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Cor,

So this goes under the I'll be damned column... I have never tried a USB device on the LP1000r. I hooked up my USB Floppy drive and it was detected immediately by Server 2000. I did a base install of 2000 with standard drivers and never installed anything specific for USB. What is the bios your at? I also never have applied SP so look at that as well...

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Cor Cornelisse
Advisor

Thank you so far, I know now that the usb has got to work, the bios I'm running is the latest from hp the 4.06.31 RA. Can you tell me what Navigator CD you used to install windows 2000 server? I've got three cd's a L 02.00 and a M 02.00 and an M 02.04 (the one I used). And if I might ask what IRQ etc is your usb root hub at? Cause mine is at 60 and I don't like that IRQ at all. Again thank you so far
Cor Cornelisse
Advisor

I've contacted HP and they are comming to pick the server up tommorow, and would examine it and if necessary replace the server. We've been having contact for one damn year and finaly now the start to believe it's a hardware failure. Great service ain't it for such a server pfff.
Greg thanks anyway for your help.
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

For what its worth,

The IRQ I'm showing is 5 for my USB port. Bios is 4.06.31RA which should be most current. As for the Install I did not use the NAV.. booted to Win2k CD and did install from there. I did skip driver detection by pressing F6 and loaded HP drivers manually for the SCSI and Safe-t proc. http://h20004.www2.hp.com/keeper_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix28161.html

Otherwise since HP doesn't support USB I never tested for it or looked at it until you posted so I did Nothing special to set it up.

Thanks,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Cor Cornelisse
Advisor

Ok, got my server back today from hp, the problem is fixed en from now on it will be added to the knowledge base, that when you install W2K server or advanced server it recognizes the lp1000r as the wrong multi processor system, after a patch from microsoft (link will be added in the knowledge database) the problem is fixed the irq is 5 instead of 60 and com2 disappears. So now she's running like hell.