5140 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HELP SETTING UP A "Static IP Address" in Windows 2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Reggie_5

HELP SETTING UP A "Static IP Address" in Windows 2000

If anyone knows how to setup a Static IP address, please help me. I have a 4 port DSL/CABLE router and it's sharing the DSL line with 10 Windows 2000 Professional PC's. We only have one printer and we would like to use it when printing from other PC's. I called HP and talked to them and they said they would charge me to help me set the Static IP address. I like to get help from here instead. Thank You in Advance!! Reggie B.
14 REPLIES 14
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

RIGHT-click on "My Network Places"
select "Properties" (of the network)
RIGHT-click on "Local Area Connection"
select "Properties" (of the LAN connection)
In the dialog box window, scroll down to, and select, "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
select "Properties" (of TCP/IP)
select "Use the following address"
fill in correct IP address, subnet mask and default gateway information
select "Use the following DNS server addresses"
fill in correct DNS server IP addresses.
click "Okay"
click "Okay"

You're done.

HTH,
Paul

Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/ethernet/configure/staticwin2k/

Check this page.. with pictures for the instructions..

Ganesh
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Reggie:

Why would you need to set up a static IP address. Most broadband routers have a DHCP server embedded in them which should serve you well. I can see why you might want to assign a static IP address to the printer but I'm not sure why you'd want one on your WIN2K machines. Tell us what your goal is. There may be a better way to get there.

Just a thought. ;-)

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Are you asking how to setup a static IP address for your printer? If so...

Is your printer connected to an ethernet cable or parallel port cable? If it's connected to an ethernet cable (printer has a built-in ethernet jack or an external jetdirect card. Then the printer can be setup with its own IP address.

You have SEVERAL ways of setting up the printer's IP address. Directly at the printer if it has a built-in LCD display window, remotely by using the HP Jetdirect web wizard, or by browsing to the printer's build-in web engine at it's current default IP address (might be 192.0.0.192 so.. http://192.0.0.192).

To access the internal web page, you would have to add an additional IP address to one of your W2K systems using the following IP address: 192.0.0.193 This can be done through the advanced settings button on the network setup page. Now, you should be able to launch a web browser and bring up the settings page of the printer. When you change the IP address and click on apply, your current connection to the printer will no longer work (you connected to 192.0.0.192 and the address is now different) you would have to reconnect to the new IP address to make any additional changes.

Is this what you're after??

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Reggie,
if you have 10 PC's + 1 printer and you have only 4 IP static address you cannot access to internet form all PC's simply set static IP. Otherwise if you have 4 port you cannot connect 11 clients into router. So I thik you have also an hub.
And then, why you will assign static IP? If you will access to internet form all PC's the solution may be a few complex. You need your router can offer a NAT service or similar and we cannot help you without router brand and model.

Bye
Antoniov

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

How is the printer connected? Is it a standalone with an IP address or is it connected to a PC with a serial or USB connection?

What is the model number of your router?
For best results you need to tell the router about the static address so that it will not reassign it to someone else. Some routers break the range up with the lower numbers reserved for the statics and the higher used for dynamics. In this case you just need to pick one from the lower end. Others will use the whole range for dynamic unless you tell them otherwise. In this case you pick one in the same range and then tell the router that it is static.

Ron
Reggie Bautista
Occasional Advisor

BEFSR41 from Linksys 4 port DSL/CABLE router. According to HP and Linksys, I have to setup a Static IP addres on my Windows 2000 Pro system. The printer I have is an HP Deskjet 990CXi model. This printer is directley attached to the PC via Parallel port. I want to be able to print from any of the 10 PC's and the only solution to this is assigning a Static IP address (I don't know how to obtain this IP address) and to connect a print server wich I don't have at this moment. Eventually, I will buy one but I like to be able to set the Static IP address so the PC's can print if needed. The router is set to use the DHCP automatically assign an IP address to share the DSL line with all PC's but again, I would love to know hot to setup the Static IP address. Thank You in advane....Reggie
Reggie Bautista
Occasional Advisor

Roger,

I don't know if I have to set the Static IP address on my Win2K or my Windows 2000 Pro PC's. It sounds more reasonable that I set it in the Router since you said it uses the DHCP like a server. If you know how to set this Linksys router please let me know. Thank YOU....Reggie
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Reggie:

I'm going to post something here and hope that Ron Kinner will comment on it. If he and I both agree on it, it will almost certainly work.

I think I understand what HP/Linksys are telling you to do and why. However, I prefer to keep DHCP intact (that's how my network is set up here). I believe if you go into Networking properties on your system and make sure File and Print Sharing is active, then go to Start/Printers and Faxes and right click on the printer you want to share, click Sharing, click Share this Printer and give it a share name.

At that point, you should be able to go to other computers and install a network printer. It should show a list of computers on the network that have shared printers. Find your computer and drill down to reveal your printer and select it. Now send a Test Page.

This works fine here. Ron, please comment on this. Thanks.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger