1755298 Members
3756 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

as/400 IFS and cifsclient

Patrick Provenzo
Frequent Advisor

Re: as/400 IFS and cifsclient

used the smbclinet commnad and i could connect and browse the directory. Still cna't mount it though. I want to mount it to one of my unix systems os that we can use IT/O agants to monito the logs.
Patrick Provenzo
Frequent Advisor

Inetresting. If I try to cifsmount the AS/400 share the connection gets refused. However, If I use the smbclient command I can connect and browse the share.
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

There is an smbmount command, oh that's probably linux.

How about cifslogin followed by cifsmount? I'll look up the exact command.
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

There is an smbmount command, oh that's probably linux.

How about cifslogin followed by cifsmount? I'll look up the exact command.

apparently it is:

cifslogin servername username

This post in the forum has a document attached which looks quite helpful.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=841850

This post gives some detail on mount -F cifs:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=529290
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

You might want to try the -u option with cifsmount, this will send passwords plain text, which might be what smbclient is doing.
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

Patrick thanks for the points. If you could let me know whether you made any progress too I'd appreciate it.

I'm guessing from the point score that it still doesn't work?
Patrick Provenzo
Frequent Advisor

No. No progress yet. I tried the -u option still doesn't like it. Trying to get info from my as/400 gurus to tell me what if anything they see on their side.
Eric Raeburn
Trusted Contributor

Hello, Patrick,

Eric from the HP CIFS Client development lab here.

There are several things we can try. Let's start with these:

First, what version of the CIFS Client are you using (do 'cifsclient status' or 'swlist | grep CIFS'), what version of HPUX ('uname -r'), and what is the name of the CIFS server software on the AS/400? (For example, the CIFS server software on HPUX is Samba.)

Next, Gavin was correct when he spotted an error in your syntax, in particular:

//server/dir/dir/...

is invalid; you must use:

//server/share

where "server" is the NetBIOS name of the server and "share" is the share-name of the shared directory on the server. If the server's NetBIOS name is the same as its DNS name, and it is in the same DNS domain as the CIFS Client, you should not need the "-I " option, but it won't hurt in any case. Please try again, ensuring that the syntax is correct. The syntax to use is:

cifsmount //server/share /mountpoint -U user [-I ]

The server and share names should be the same as those used in the "\\server\share" string that successfully mapped a drive on the PC. The user name and password should also match those used on the PC when the drive was mapped.

If that fails, please do the following:

1. Shut down the CIFS Client ('cifsclient stop').

2. Edit /etc/opt/cifsclient/cifsclient.cfg and enable the following "logLevels" by removing any comment symbols preceding them:

nfsTrace
cifsTrace
smbSequence

3. Restart the CIFS Client, redo the cifsmount command, and post a reply to this forum. Indicate the exact wording of the error message, and attach the cifsclient logfile, which will be /var/opt/cifsclient/debug/client-log., where "pid" is the process id of the CIFS Client daemon, cifsclientd (correlate the pid with the "status:" line displayed by 'cifsclient status'.

4. Also post the versions I requested at the beginning of this message.

Finally, please let us know if your HPUX system has "tcpdump" or "ethereal" installed, if we need those for further diagnostics.

Good luck,
Eric
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

Patrick, I'm glad to see you're still out there and plugging away at it. I'm sorry it doesn't work yet.

It does seem odd that smbclient works but cifsmount doesn't, does cifsclient and/or cifslogin work or not?

I'm really short of ideas from my limited knowledge of cifs. Looks like Eric has rather more depth of experience on this, I think I'll learn something from this once it is solved.

Eric, you really can map a drive \\server\dir\dir... with windows, I tried it. I don't quite understand it but it works. Thanks for joining in, I'm almost out of steam.

Patrick, there are quite a few posts about ethereal on the forum which you can search for, if you find that you need to go that route.
Patrick Provenzo
Frequent Advisor

Ok.

I am running version: FILESET HP CIFS CLIENT: Version: A.01.09. I am running HP-UX 11i v1 on the Unix side. I ma not sure what the AS/400 software is called.

I shut down the cifsclient and edited the config file as Eric suggested. I restarted adn retried the cifsmount. Here is the error reruend to my screen:

root@grtux12# cifsmount //DEVAS01/QIBM /DEVAS01 -U E0026887
Remote user E0026887's password:
Connecting Server: UNIX: Connection refused

Here is what I get in the cifsclient log:

09-06 07:19:21.660 [0] CIFS Client start; version=A.01.09, pid=5201
09-06 07:20:11.829 [0] Establishing connection to server DEVAS01: connectTimeout: 5000, requestTimeout: 60000

I do have tcpdump installed.