108871 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Asynchronous i/o for file devices?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tina Waitherwerch
Occasional Advisor

Asynchronous i/o for file devices?

I am installing sybase ASE12.5 on HP-D380 11i. I created database device files as raw, except for one device - which I left as a file device. I set asyncdisk to In from SAM, did a mknod for /dev/async, then chmod then chown. But when I bring up sybase, the errorlog says:
kernel Initializing virtualdevice'/dev/vg01/master_dev' with dsync 'on'.
kernel Virtual device 0 started using standard unix i/o.

Can file devices use Async I/O? Or have I missed a step setting it up?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor

Re: Asynchronous i/o for file devices?

Hi

hi i would like to know what is the one device which is file device.

If the master device is (virtual device 0) is a file device ( ie block device) the sybase will come up with Standard Unix IO bcoz for all file devices sybase uses Standard IO.

Regards

CTK
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor

hi again

what u do is make the master device as /dev/vg01/rmaster_dev( raw device) and recreate database.

One more thing you have to do is

# setprivgrp "sybase group" MLOCK

and start the server

CTK
Tina Waitherwerch
Occasional Advisor

As a matter of fact it is device 0(master device). However upon further investigation of the errorlog, all the devices(raw and file)say they will be using standard UNIX i/o. How can I verify after SAM that I have async set up correct?
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor

hi

when ur master device itself is file device there is no way in sybase to make database device to make up in Aysnc IO mode.

what u can do is make another device in vg01 like
/dev/vg01/rlvmasterdev(raw device) of same size and make it a mirror copy of /dev/vg01/master_dev in sybase, and use unmirror command in sybase and make the secondery device as primary

or if ur setup is fresh just recreate the database with raw device ( /dev/vg01/rmaster_dev)

CTK
Vijeesh CTK
Trusted Contributor
Solution

hi

just check you config value

1> sp_configure 'allow sql server async i/o'
2>
Parameter Name Default Memory Used Config Value
Run Value
------------------------------ ----------- ----------- ------------
-----------
allow sql server async i/o 1 0 1

CTK
Tina Waitherwerch
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the quick response. THis turns out that this was a Sybase problem, but you still gave me the answer in a round-about way. Sure, I had done everything correctly on the HP side, but I had forgotten to set up async i/o on the Sybase side. Once I checked the sp_configure command. I was able to turn it on and now all my file and raw devices use asynchronous i/o. Thanks