Operating System - HP-UX
1758584 Members
1848 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

changed password back to previuos one on a trusted server.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Juan Gonzalez_2
Frequent Advisor

changed password back to previuos one on a trusted server.

The Database Administrator changed the password on a account and wants to change it back to what it was but this password was created before the server was converted over to trusted system. The password that the account before does not follow the rules that are set now that the server was convert to a trusted system. How can change the password back without having to take the server out of being a trusted system.
5 REPLIES 5
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: changed password back to previuos one on a trusted server.

Hmmm. Sounds fishy. Minus the editorial, if you've got a backup, restore the tcb entry for that user. You really only need this part:

:u_pwd=passwordishere:\

You can use vi to edit the file.

The file will be in a subdirectory of
/tcb/files/auth

You could also fiddle with the password requirement rules for that particular user (use sam to lessen the restrictions).

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

root should be able to change the password but the bigger question is: why do you have rules on your trusted system? Is it to improve security? I would be very concerned about a DBA that can't use the new password or create another one that conforms to the rules.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Juan Gonzalez_2
Frequent Advisor

I know Bill sometime I think if this DBA knows what he or she (not to give specific gener)is doing. Thanks you guys for the information. I knew about editing the password with another password that was the same from another server but that was not an ootion for me. The restoring of the user file in /tcb/files/auth/s that slipped my mind.
Thanks again
yunardi
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I have facing same problems... but the reason from user is because they have write the password hard coded in a script, and difficult to modify many script than set password to previous.
Like I usually do is write root password for a script run automatic ftp on crontab and modify script for read only by root.
Sounds not secure isn't, but sometime we have no choice or knowledge :D

Thx,
EKO
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Of course, a password in a script is just as bad as writing the password onto a yellow sticky note and pasting it under the keyboard. For those situations, use ssh so that passwords are not required.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin