New Discussion юеВ

Cloning the rp7410 from L2000 system image

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike_305
Super Advisor

Cloning the rp7410 from L2000 system image

Hi,

Cloning the rp7410 from L2000 image system.

Has anyone successfully clone ???rp7410??? using the image from L2000 system? Please don't ask why I want to do this. (APPLICATION reasons)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Mike
If there is problem then don't think as problem, think as opportunity.
8 REPLIES 8
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Cloning the rp7410 from L2000 system image

Hi, Mike

NO, we couldn't successfully clone. due to different H/w architecture as well as processor architecture
never give up
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

It will work but then you'll have to work a lot with volume group i mean create /etc/lvmtab again and a lot of other problems. If you are planing to host this server under production dont ever do cloning. Better install HPUX or the best thing is to make an Ignite UX server and do your installation from there if you have to install enough servers.

Cheers
Rajeev
Jean-Louis Phelix
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It can now work if you use a recent Ignite-UX it's now officialy supported to clone to different HW. See man make_tape_recovery, and read about the new selector "Cloning to different hardware"

Regards.
It works for me (┬й Bill McNAMARA ...)
Mike_305
Super Advisor

Hi Jean,

On L2000 I am using IGNITE version B.3.7.96 and I have cut the image using "make_tape_recovery -AvI", now if I take this image to RP7410, you are saying that it will work. I will be able to load image of L2000 on to RP7410 successfully, without any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Mike
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Hi, Mike!

In general, you need to take care that the image contains the harware enablement patches that are needed to boot the rp7410, i.e. PA8700 enablement patches.

I would suggest you install the latest HWE bundle on your L2000, before taking the image. Then all should be fine.

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Jean-Louis Phelix
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Of course Dietmar is right ... You must have a bootable WINSTALL (which depends on the ignite release), but also a bootable OS. So install all required patches before cloning. Last thing is that the 'clone to different HW ?' button is not directly on the first screen. On the screen where you choose the archive source and the target disk you will have to use the "Additional ..." button to access it. It can be TRUE or FALSE.

Regards.
It works for me (┬й Bill McNAMARA ...)
Mike_305
Super Advisor

Hi Guys,

I try to load from Ignite image of L2000 to RP7410 and it works fine.

Thanks to all of you for replying to the question.

Thanks,

Mike
Alastair Donaldson
Frequent Advisor

Mike:

As you have already discovered the make_tape_recovery works great. However if you ever plan on creating / changing an nPar on the rp7410 you will find the all the partitioning commands fail. To correct this you will have to add the hd_fabric drivers into your kernel.