New Discussion юеВ

Creating CDs for HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Creating CDs for HP-UX

Hi,

I've read some forum articles about that, but can't manage to create a good CD for HP-UX.

I use Nero and tried the defaults options, with or without joliet. Playing with mount/pfs_mount, "-r" and "-o cdcase" options, all I can have is an uppercase filenames with ;1 at the end or lowercase filenames.

What is a good set of options I can use to burn (and to mmount) in order to preserve case ?

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
11 REPLIES 11
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating CDs for HP-UX

rockridge format. Else, if you have rockridge patch, you should not have problem mounting it on hp-ux with correct case.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

RAC,

It's OK to mount rock-ridge, but how to burn ? I don't have any "rock ridge" checkbox in Nero's burning process.

Regards,

Fred
--

RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Rosio burner?? Free available burners?? built in XP CD burner??
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Machine with burner here is under Win2000 (I did not made this choice). It has Nero installed (Neither do I). I believed that this soft, considered by my colleagues as "waow wonderfull", was able to do RR...

What I do now is to mkisofs from a linux server and burn those ISOs. I will try other burning programs to prevent transfers.

Thanks for Suggestions RAC

Fred
--

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi fred,

I use nero burning rom, not the express version as you have more control.

Then in the settings go to iso page and there is an option to
do not add ;1 extension
uncheck this
and have iso 9660 +joliet selected
and burn the cd

these can then be mounted in the normal way in hpux with or without the -o cdcase option.

andy
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Andrew,

And isn't all in upper or lower ? What I want is to have file called MyFile not to appear as myfile or MYFILE.

Thanks,

Fred
--

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

There is no way to create a CD that looks like an HP CD where long filenames and MiXeD case names are preserved. The reason is that HP adopted a non-standard way to master it's CDs more than 15 years ago by violating the ISO 9660 standard just a bit. Then the HP CDFS subsystem could display the names just like a normal filesystem.

ISO 9660 defines all filenames as UPPERCASE, 8.3 name format with a version number ;1 appended. All CDs then and now have this format. Additionally, the RockRidge extensions defined a new directory with alternate names and all modern mastering software uses this format (aka, ECMA 168 or POSIX filenames).

The problem is that HP-UX never adopted the RockRidge extensions aas part of CDFS until a few months ago. There is a hack method that has been around since 10.20 by mounting with the -ocdcase option, but this just removes ;1 and lowers the case (still 8.3 names).

Finally, the code was updated with 3 patches (all 3 must be installed) that activates the -orr option. This will mount your CDs correctly. Do NOT use Joliet--this is a PC-only format and not very portable outside of the PC realm. The patches are different for HP-UX 11.00 versus 11.11.

NOTE: there are no patches for 10.20. You have to use the rather unstable code called pfs (man pfs) to get RockRidge features on 10.20 and earlier.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Thanks Bill for history. Morality is always the same when someone violates a standard...

I have patches installed and things goes well using "mkisofs -r" under linux and burning ISO. But I still can't achieve the same directly from Nero. This not really a problem.

Regards,

Fred
--

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Nero and Roxio work fine and the CDs they create with the defaults (for an interchangeable CD) look OK on HP-UX with the -orr option. mkisofs has lots of option overrides concerning file naming conventions that PC users just wouldn't understand. The problem you're seeing is the same for Oracle CDs as well as Cisco, WRQ, SysAdmin Magazine CDs, etc

Bill Hassell, sysadmin