Operating System - HP-UX
1754309 Members
2796 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DNS on visualize workstation running 10.20

Julian Sinclair_1

DNS on visualize workstation running 10.20

I am pretty new to this DNS stuff and have a problem which I am unsure of how to solve.
Here at my company we have a Solaris 2.6 server with a number of solaris, irix and one HP clients.
We use NIS and DNS to resolve and names and all appear to work perfectly except for the HP.
When I try to nslookup the HP (arnie) from the server i get the following message:

*** [name-server].fegs.co.uk can't find arnie: Non-existent host/domain

However, when I try nslookup for arnie.fegs.co.uk I get the following output:

Name: arnie.fegs.co.uk.fegs.co.uk
Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

When I look for any other client here I get the correct response and arnie seems to have been entered in both the named.hosts and named.rev file in exactly the same way as all other clients.

In a rather long winded manner, what I want to know is why can't nslookup find a record for arnie when using hostname and why can it only find one when use a fully qualified name and then adds another domain on the end ?

Please help as this is playing havoc with my sendmail set up on arnie as it is not resolving the names properly.

Julian
3 REPLIES 3
Julian Sinclair_1

Re: DNS on visualize workstation running 10.20

Never managed to answer one of these questions before, just a shame that it is only in response to a question that I posted.

Must be Monday morning blindness, but the problem was rather obvious really

arnie's record in the named.hosts file had its dot on the end missing.

Just have to wait for the record to expire and will check lookup but that should be the end of the problem.

Can I give myself any points ? Or should I subtract some for not being observant enough.
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Most of the players in this forum are in the US. Although you posted in the middle of the morning for you (10AM) it was VERY early for us in the eastern US (6AM) and still the middle of the night in the western US (3AM).
John_Hancock
Trusted Contributor

You can force a reload of the ns data with the following command,
sig_named restart

When I change records I do a restart and check my changes.

John Hancock