New Discussion юеВ

Re: enhanced AutoFS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tuan Nguyen
Regular Advisor

enhanced AutoFS

Hello experts,

I currently have a rp4440 server running hpux 11.11 and a Dell running Redhat 9 enterprise. From the Linux system I setup NFS server that share a /dir and rp4440 is running nfs client (AUTOFS=0) that mounts to linux:/dir. Everything looks good and I am able to transfer files back and forth. However, files that are larger than 2GB (oracle files) are reported as corrupted. Therefore, I want to run AUTOFS=1 on the client. The question is do I need Enhanced AUTOFS installed? I could not find the Enhanced AUTOFS in www.software.hp.com. Please, can someone help me with this? Thank you very much.

Tuan N Nguyen
6 REPLIES 6
TTr
Honored Contributor

You need to use NFS v3 on both sides. The NFS v2 has a 2GB filse size limit. Search for NFS in this forum, there are many hits
Tuan Nguyen
Regular Advisor

TTr,

Thank you for your quick response. I tried to search for NFS v3 but there isn't anything that I can refer to my situation. Anyway, on my rp4440 server the
# rpcinfo -p localhost | grep nfs
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
This indicates that I have both NFS v2 and v3 capable. I know that I can mount -o vers=3 at my mount command to mount as NFS v3 to the linux server. But what is the format to put in /etc/auto_direct?

currently I have in /etc/auto_direct
/linuxdb linuxsvr:/lndb

can I change it to
/linuxdb -o vers=3 linuxsvr:/lndb

and expect it to work?

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Tuan N Nguyen

Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you can set options for all entries of a map. In auto.master use
/- auto.direct -vers=3

For a single entry in a map, use
/linuxdb -vers=3 linuxsvr:/lndb

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
Tuan Nguyen
Regular Advisor

Peter,

Thank you for the information. I just installed Enhanced AutoFS and configured my nfsconf file to turn on AUTOFS=1. Then I run
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core stop
/sbin/init.d/nfs.server stop
/sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop

and restart
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core start
/sbin/init.d/nfs.server start
/sbin/init.d/nfs.client start

I got this message
# /sbin/init.d/nfs.client start
starting NFS CLIENT networking

starting up the rpcbind
rpcbind already started, using pid: 8544
starting up the BIO daemons
/usr/sbin/biod 16
Reading in /etc/exports
starting up the Status Monitor daemon
rpc.statd already started, using pid: 1035
starting up the Lock Manager daemon
rpc.lockd already started, using pid: 1041
Tring to start AutoFS but the old Automounter may
still be running. Stop the old automount daemon
before starting AutoFS

Then I did ps -ef | grep automount. I got this

root 1052 1 0 10:14:38 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/netsvc/fs/automount/automount -f /etc/auto_master

How do I stop automount? I thought the nfs.client stop will kill it but it did not.

Thank you for your help

Tuan N Nguyen

TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

> How do I stop automount? I thought the nfs.client stop will kill it but it did not.

First check if there is a mount point that is open by automounter and unmount it or end the login session that has it mounted. If it is still running, try shutting down the nfs services in the correct order, (nfs.core should be optional)
/sbin/init.d/nfs.server stop
/sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core stop
If it is still running check what files it has open by using lsof and try killing it manually.
Start the 3 services in reverse order.

Tuan Nguyen
Regular Advisor

TTr,

Thanks again for the direction. "nfs.client stop" killed the automount daemon eventually.
I was able to start autofs and I am restoring some large files right now as we speak just to test it.

I will inform you of the result.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Tuan N Nguyen

PS. Points are coming shortly.