New Discussion юеВ

Errors in syslog.log

SOLVED
Go to solution
Warren griggs
Frequent Advisor

Errors in syslog.log

Hi All,

I am getting a load of errors in my syslog.log every couple of minutes saying....

Oct 1 15:59:03 hostname inetd[29631]: bpcd/tcp: Connection from hostname (ip address) at Mon Oct 1 15:59:03 2001

and....

Oct 1 16:00:04 hostname inetd[29956]: registrar/tcp: Connection from hostname (ip address) at Mon Oct 1 16:00:04 2001

Anybody know what these mean?

Thanks in advance,

Colin.
7 REPLIES 7
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Errors in syslog.log

Hi:

It simply means that inetd was enabled with logging (the -l argument). Man inetd for details. If you wish to turn it off, you will need to go to the console and login. Edit the /sbin/init.d/inetd script. If the -l arg to inetd is specified in the 'start)' section,
remove it there. It may have been specified in an /etc/rc.config.d/inetd file.
After you make the changes:
/sbin/init.d/inetd stop
/sbin/init.d/inetd start

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Rajeev Tyagi
Valued Contributor

Hi,

From those messages it looks like that inetd is running in logging mode i.e inetd -l.
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

The '-l' option can also be set in /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons. If you do not find it in one place, look to the other.

It is not necessarily a bad thing to have logging turned on, every once in a while you may see a machine or address connecting that you do not think should be....
Spoon!!!!
Robin Wakefield
Honored Contributor

Hi Colin,

bpcd is the Veritas Netbackup service name,
registrar is the Resource Monitor broker.

If these messages are valid, perhaps it simply means inetd logging has been switched on for some reason.

Rgds, Robin

Warren griggs
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy replies.

What I don't understand is that the machine seems to be connecting to itself.

i.e. Oct 1 16:00:04 host1 inetd[29956]: registrar/tcp: Connection from host1 (
ip address of host1) at Mon Oct 1 16:00:04 2001

Why is it connecting to itself so often and through the night when the machine is supposed to be quiet?

Thanks,

Colin.
Robin Wakefield
Honored Contributor

Hi Colin,

Is this machine acting as server + client for these applications? If there is an underlying problem, perhaps the application logs show the real reason for the multiple reconnects.

Rgds, Robin.
Marcin Wicinski
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Logging enabled means that inetd sends SIGQUIT to inetd, but inetd is already running, which causes it ti toggle the state of connection logging.

Marcin Wicinski