1757735 Members
2217 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX 11.x, Ignite B.3.6.82, and PDC firmware updates

Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

HPUX 11.x, Ignite B.3.6.82, and PDC firmware updates

This is a bad idea, but I'd like to explore its possibility.

I would like to be able to update PDC firmware from an Ignite server.

Please do not tell me it can't be done. I have faith.

We have several older 9000/800 servers rolling through our datacenter, and we want to install 64-bit HPUX on them. However, some of them require PDC updates, but do not have a tape drive to do so.

So instead of purchasing or swapping tape drives, I'd like to see if this can be done from our Ignite server.

Since the firmware updates are contained in boot lif files, it shouldn't be too difficult to create a boot lif to handle the Ignite install and any included firmware updates. This new boot lif would replace the one used by Ignite's instl_bootd (the file /opt/ignite/boot/boot_lif).

Ideally, from the boot prompt, 'boot lan install' will continue as usual with the Ignite install, but 'boot lan isl' would give us the ability to invoke the appropriate firmware update... or even Online Diagnostics.

Would HP engineering endorse such behavior?

I'm sure this idea violates several support contracts, which is why I hesitate in the first place.

I suppose the least I could do is net boot into a recovery shell and put the firmware update lif on any disk and reboot on it.

Everyone will get at least one point for responding with any comments, suggestions, or criticism.

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
Misa
Frequent Advisor

I like your idea. I don't have an Ignite server yet (just doing tapes), so I'm afraid I can't dig in much. But when I mentioned this to my CE a couple of weeks ago, he gave me negative feedback. I wish I could remember exactly what it was -- it was something to do with not being doable from a *technical* perspective, not from a "policy" perspective. Sorry for the bad RAM.

I certainly hope you can get it working, even if it's not supported. I have some remote A500s area that need PDC updates (the "not enough fans" bug) but have no drives...

HTH. Sorry it's not much.

--Misa
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

I appreciate the support, Misa. Thanks.

On my way home I was thinking about how it may be possible to make the firmware updates available via tftp along side of the ?INSTALL files in the /opt/ignite/boot directory without modifying the boot_lif file. More to come.