4766 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ignite gui - "new install" with newer hp-ux version

Sven Bergmann
Frequent Advisor

ignite gui - "new install" with newer hp-ux version

hi,

on the gui i want to make a "new install" on a existing client (with hp-ux 11.23 installed). when i enter the installation-screen ignite shows only hp-ux 11.23 to install. but i want to install 11.31.

on a client-based installation (via efi/dbprofile) i can select which operating system i want to install....but not on serverbased installation via gui/new install. :(

any ideas how can i solve this problem??
7 REPLIES 7
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

I think question is not clear:

What are you trying to do exactly:

You need a cold install from what (media=tape)?

Where is your 11.31 image ?
Sven Bergmann
Frequent Advisor

my hp-ux images (11.11/11.23/11.31) are depots on the ignite-server. when i install a completely new client (for instance a integrity machine via efi-shell & dbprofile) all is working fine...i can select what hp-ux release i want to install...11.23 or 11.31. no problems there!

my problem is that i can't install hp-ux 11.31 to existing clients (with hp-ux 11.23) when i go through the gui > selecting a client > new install. ignite don't give me the choice to select hp-ux 11.31 - it selects automatically 11.23. thats the only problem.

Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

OK , then you want make upgrade from 11.23 to 11.31 . then you need to have a great docs. here:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-5795/ch06s04.html#babjeiib

Sven Bergmann
Frequent Advisor

no...i don't want to update the client-system. i want a new fresh installation of 11.31 on a 11.23-system via ignite-gui. that's all.

i think, you completely misunderstand my situation.

ok, meanwhile i've found a workaround with an additional step...

1. copy of the 1131 ignite bootloader via ssh to the client and reboot (from ignite server console):

bootsys -R B.11.31 -S -w clientname

2. start a "new install" via the ignite gui

now i can install hp-ux 11.31 on a 11.23-system (ignite-installer selects hp-ux 11.31 automatically).

JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

The easiest way to do this is to start with the 11.31 installation disk, but at the installation gui interface, choose an interactive ignite install. Because you are starting with an 11.31 installation dvd, it will default to 11.31 and look for that software. It is looking for 11.23 at the moment because you have 11.23 already installed.
If I can, I will!
Julian Foster
Advisor

From the ignite GUI, click Actions->Boot Client. Then you can enter your client hostname and select the version to boot from. Which, as described in the previoius post, will default the install selection to that OS level. As long as the system is currently running any HP-UX version you should be able to do this.
Sven Bergmann
Frequent Advisor

hi julian,

thanks...until now i misinterpreted the version setting in "boot client" options. i've tested it and it's the same as my workaround.

i think i'm on the right way.

sven