4349 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Integrity Virtual Machines v4.0 - unable to dynamically add disk

grahamswilson
Trusted Contributor

Integrity Virtual Machines v4.0 - unable to dynamically add disk

Hi all,

I've just installed the IVM product on 11iv3-0809 - and when I try to add a disk backing store to a guest, I get the following :-

# hpvmmodify -P atlantis -a disk:aviostor::disk:/dev/rdisk/disk15
hpvmmodify: Unable to dynamically create device disk:avio_stor:0,1,0:disk:/dev/rdisk/disk15 - Protocol error.
hpvmmodify: Guest needs to be restarted for all changes to take effect.

I already have a 11iv2/IVM3.5 environment (and earlier versions too) and I never had to restart guests for them to pick up new disk backup stores!

In fact, when I first installed the v3.5 product, I did get this error but upgrading the AVIO bundle fixed it - but there is no upgraded AVIO bundle for the 11iv3 release (yet?).

Has anyone else seen this "protocol error" - or alternatively, has anyone else installed this version yet and seen it able to dynamically add disks to hosts? (At least that way I'll know if it's just me...)

I have also logged an official call with HP, but always worth trying here...
4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Integrity Virtual Machines v4.0 - unable to dynamically add disk

I didn't work with the new version yet, but you should ensure and check if you have all required patches installed.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
grahamswilson
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

yep - all patches installed.

However, I think I have an update - HP have just "found" the "issue" :)

After doing some more playing around, I found that it was only adding the _first_ disk that was causing this "protocol error" message. Turns out, apart from being a strange error message ;) this is expected behavior.

To quote from the HPVM 4.0 install guide page 98 (Section 7.2.1.5) :-

"All types of virtual storage devices can be added and removed dynamically from virtual machines.
That is, virtual disks, virtual DVDs, tapes, media changers, and CD/DVD burners are all
hot-swappable. However, the virtual storage adapters are currently not hot-swappable. Therefore,
if all the virtual storage adapters are full, you must reboot the virtual machine when you add
additional devices."

I hadn't really appreciated this statement - but of course a more relevant consequence of it is until you have added at least one disk, you haven't added any virtual storage adapters - and as it says, virtual storage adapters are NOT hot-swappable!

So...disks are dynamic but virtual storage adapters aren't - so the error I was getting was from trying to dynamically add a virtual storage device rather than a disk - which happens to happen when you add the first disk!

So "problem" solved...

grahamswilson
Trusted Contributor

P.S. I was wrong in my original post - this behavior was also found in earlier versions.
grahamswilson
Trusted Contributor

see above...