1767188 Members
6094 Online
108959 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: kernel parameters

khilari
Regular Advisor

kernel parameters

Hi people, i have to set the kernel parameters specified below. Now, i opened the /stand.system file but i couldnt find these parameters to change. Can u kindly tell me which file should i go into to change these parameters.
Thanks

256 max_thread_proc
512 nkthread
4 REPLIES 4
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

you can either add these parameters follwing the examples of any existing parameter for the file syntax and proceed with your kernel compilation, but looking at the question, please do not take it as denouncing your skills, you seem to be a little new to HP-UX, in which case I suggest the use of sam to make the kernel parameter modifications. This will protect you against a fatfingering and rendering your system useless for a while.

You shouldn't edit the system file directly. In your case, I would use SAM->Kernel Configuration->Configurable Paramteters

Select the desired tunables and modify them. Next choose Actions->Process New Kernel.

This will do all the steps involved in building a new kernel and keeping a safe bootable copy.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
khilari
Regular Advisor

Select the desired tunables and modify them. Next choose Actions->Process New Kernel.

Now, after i have done that where will be the old system and vmunix files be. I mean if i have to reboot from the old copies what will be their path...
/stand/vmunix.old i assume !!!

Thanks
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

close but not quite. The "prev"ious kernel is found at :

/stand/vmunix.prev

Hope this helps