1755342 Members
5684 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Laugh a little bit

simon_164
Super Advisor

Laugh a little bit

In this thread , u're gonna laugh a little bit on the situation or on me, the important thing is to laugh. I have two rx servers, each one is connected through serial to a thin client and a connection is created.

Now from one day ago i noticed that the two thin clients are showing the output of one server which is X1, the output from X2 is not there, and whenever i am typing on one keyboard, the output comes on the other screen. I shutdown X1 now the output goes away on both screens. Am i going nuts or what?

By the way you should congratulate me because the called a cease fire for lebanon, yuppieee.
8 REPLIES 8
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: Laugh a little bit

Simon,
has somebody been messing with the cables/setup ? Double-check your setup.
simon_164
Super Advisor

now let's see, nop the cables are all right, what if someone has messed around with them? right now i have two cable getting out of two console ports of rx servers and connected to two different thin clients. I should see two different outputs.
simon_164
Super Advisor

Guys, help me out here, I am getting crazy. do you know any software that can do this? anybody who had turned my output to a different server or something?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You'll need to define 'thin client'. A standard HP terminal like the 700/9x or C1099x is a simple RS-232 connection and the only way keystrokes on one keyboard to show up on another screen is to swap the keyboard cables. Now if these thin clients are more than simple terminals, ie, a PC or Linux box, are there any LAN connections on these thin clients? You might want to check that your login session looks normal (ie,ps -f shows -sh as your current shell). Try bypassing HP-UX by escaping to the GSP prompt and see if the details in the GSP listing match the correct server.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Serial connections? Do you mean that the thin clients are being used as console terminals for the rx servers?

My guess: Someone may have logged on X2, then connected through the network from X2 to X1. If the X1 has LAN console connected and configured, it will look exactly like both consoles were connected to the same server.

Go to the thin client that is actually connected to X1. Press Ctrl-B to access the management processor on X1. Enter CM to get to the management processor's Command Menu. Then enter DI to get a chance to DIsconnect any remote connections. If someone has connected from X2 to X1's management processor, this menu will display the connection and allow you to disconnect it.

If this causes the other thin client to return to X2's command prompt, you've solved the problem. You could even check what was the last command on X2's session and who ran it.
MK
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It is possible to connect to server X1 *MP* via serial connection and from MP_X1 via network to MP_X2 (MP to MP).

Perhaps you did this. You probably need to disconnect this session "MP> x".

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Another possibility to get really confused is to connect to X1_MP via serial, connect to the OS console, from the OS do a telnet to the second MP.
You will be surprised about the effects, but don't try it!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
simon_164
Super Advisor

there was a hanging shell, but even, typing on one keyboard and seeing the output on two screen was something that made me nuts.
However i closed an old session which happen to be stuck or something. Right now everything is ok. Thx for the reply and sorry i did not close the thread earlier.