New Discussion юеВ

Re: making printer to be used by only one user

SOLVED
Go to solution
so_2
Regular Advisor

making printer to be used by only one user

Hi All

I have a network printer connected.A user complains that the printer is dedicated for him but other users are printing on it. is there any way to make a network printer to use only for one user.

Please help.
thanks
s.o
3 REPLIES 3
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

first I would write a mail to all potential users of this printer, that user 'thisusr' does not want to have print jobs submitted to HIS printer - only in case they complain about print jobs getting lost...

Then:
- convert the network printer to a local one
- disable rlpdaemon in /etc/inetd.conf
- add code to /etc/lp/interface/ to check for this particular user:
usernam=`id -un`
case "$usernam" in
thisusr|root) ;;
*) exit 0 ;;
esac

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The solution depends on how this printer is connected. Are all the prnt jobs coming from your HP-UX computer? If so, you can edit the printer's script to ignore any print jobs not from this user. But if the print jobs are coming from other computers (PC's, Mac's, mainframes, etc), the solution is a bit more complex.

If it uses an HP JetDirect LAN card (typical for HP printers), you can configure the LAN card to only accept print jobs from a specific IP address. There is no concept of a "user" for print jobs so all you can limit is access by IP address.

If the printer does not use an HP JetDirect card, you'll have to refere to the LAN card's documentation, but be aware that most non-HP LAN adapters have no connectivity controls. So the only fix is to take the printer off the LAN and connect it directly to the computer.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
so_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks Bill and Peter

I will look in to the possibility and do it.
Thanks again for your help.

s.o