4720 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need to extend the LV size

jaivinder
Frequent Advisor

Need to extend the LV size

Hi Gurus,

I have a two node cluster, and now we have a requirement to increase one of the LV by 200gig which is a part of the Cluster VG. I have added the disk to the VG but when trying to extend this LV i found that the 65000 LE's are already allocated to this LV and the LVM limit is 65535,and the PE size in the VG is 16mb. So the biggest LV can be of 1TB.This LV is having 990Gig of data. Please suggest me the plan to increase the LV to 1300gig.

Can we change the PE size in this VG???

Please suggest me the plan to migrate the data if we require to create a new VG.

Thanks in advance.
Jaivinder malhan
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Need to extend the LV size

Sorry, but you just hit the LVM wall and will have to create a new volume group. Only with the vgcreate command can you increase the limits that you are hitting. If you want a bigger PE then its -s option. If you want more PEs on a PV then its -e option. What you are now facing is a copying of old to new file systems in the new vg to temp. mount pts. Once copied over just switch the mount pts. and update the fstab file with the new lv information. Not hard, you just need the disks.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If you are running HP-UX 11.23 or 11.31 then there are some VG parameters that can be changed with the 'vgmodify' command.

See the vgmodify man page for more information, if on the appropriate version of HP-UX.
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

IN addition if you are at 11.31 you can consider LVMv2 but you will need serviceguard patches to support LVMv2
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

LVM 1.0 permits LVs up to 2TB (65535 PEs x 32MB pe_size) according to top of page 19 of http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01919369/c01919369.pdf (BSC link updated by admin)

The vgmodify command installed with LVM Commands patch PHCO_35524 (ux11.23) or newer does not have the syntax to allow increasing the pe_size.

Hence, no matter what version of HP-UX, you will have to create a new VG and volume/file system and copy the data to the new one.