108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NFS Shares can not create files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

You're running PHNE_24143. That is two patches back from PHNE_28886. There is only one rpc.lockd change between those patches but it is one where rpc.lockd dumps core.

Is rpc.lockd still dying on your 10.20 server? If so, getting the rpc.lockd from PHNE_28886 might still be a good idea. If lockd is no longer dying then I'd focus on the WRQ client.

Can you confirm whether rpc.lockd is still dying on the server during these tests from the WRQ clients?
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Ken Martin_3
Regular Advisor

Dave,

Yes the 'lockd' is dying but only when the HP is accessed from the W2K machine running WRQ NFS client 10.x

It is configured the same as the client on a Win Pro machine.

However, the strange part is lockd appears to die when the W2K machine tries to create OR update a file? But, 'not' every time. When updating a file under W2K you get a message 'not able to create a temporary file'. This does not occur under XP Pro?

Looks like there might be a problem with WRQ NFS client 10.x on XP Pro and W2K. The latest is version 14 I think. To upgrade however you need to buy a new license $$.

Have you ever tried the NFS client from Microsoft's free Services For Unix 3.5? Uh, I think that won't work on W2K Pro.

I am beginning to think the HP is doing what it is supposed to be doing aside from lockd dieing at times when accessed by a W2K machine. As I said before an NT machine with WRQ NFS 7.x works as expected.

I wonder how NFS clients will work with Vista?

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Ken,

If rpc.lockd is dying then there's not much we can ask from WRQ unless they're sending in a lock request that is somehow violating the NLM protocol.

As I said, your current rpc.lockd is 2 patches back from the last one we released for 10.20, and one of the fixes in the newer patch addresses cases where rpc.lockd core dumps with certain lock requests.

Since you have the ability to pull patches (from somewhere), I'd recommend the following patches:

PHCO_20061 mount(1M) cumulative patch
PHCO_23437 LVM commands cumulative patch
PHCO_23844 fsck_vxfs(1M) cumulative patch
PHCO_31920 libc cumulative patch
PHKL_16750 SIG_IGN/SIGCLD,LVM,JFS,PCI/SCSI cumulative patch
PHKL_16959 Physical dump devices configuration patch
PHKL_17857 Fix for mount/access of disc sections
PHKL_20610 Correct process stop recording on ufs inodes
PHKL_21660 lo_realvfs panic fix, Cumulative LOFS patch
PHKL_23418 VxFS mount(2) cumulative patch
PHKL_25438 LVM cumulative patch, array controller hot-swap
PHKL_26980 VxFS (JFS) mount, fsck, vx_real_iget deadlock
PHNE_22506 cumulative ARPA Transport patch
PHNE_28886 NFS/NIS General Release/Performance Patch

This is the latest NFS patch and all of the dependent patches, and any patches dependent on them, and so on.

Once you get those patches installed, if you are still able to reproduce the rpc.lockd core dump then I can look at a network trace to see what the offending SHARE request looks like to see if it's legal, but if anything needs to be done on the HP side you'd have to update to a supported OS release.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Ken Martin_3
Regular Advisor

Dave,

If I can get these patches is there a certain order in which they have to be installed?

Thanks...
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Ken,

When I need to install a bunch of patches that have interdependencies, I typically swcopy all the patches into a single depot and do one big install.

Dave
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo
Ken Martin_3
Regular Advisor

Dave,

I downloaded the patches. Some came from the S700-S800 resource and some came from S700. The PHKL's from S700 and the PHCO's and one PHNE from S700-S800.

This may sound stupid. In all the years I have used/worked with HP Unix machines I have never had to build a 'depot'. I always installed either a single or a patch bundle. Any help?

Also, on one XP Pro machines I uninstalled WRQ NFS client and installed the NFS client from Microsoft Services for Unix 3.5. That has no problems at all with the HP!

I am willing to give these patches a chance but don't know how to build a 'depot'.

I can still test WRQ NFS on a W2K and an XP machine.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Ken,

Attached is a little script I've used for years. It prompts you for two directories - the first one is where the PHXX_#####.depot files are, the second is the directory where you want the patch "bundle" to be created that you will eventually swinstall from.

Now that you've downloaded all the patches, take all the .depot files and put them in a separate directory like /tmp/patches and then run the attached script and input /tmp/patches in response to the first question and then give it a different directory (/tmp/depot) where you want the bundle created. Once it finishes use swinstall and point it to /tmp/depot and it should find all the patches in a single bundle.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo
Ken Martin_3
Regular Advisor

Dave,

Thanks for the script! Out of the list swinstall installed PHCO_23437, PHCO_31920, PHKL_23438, PHKL_26980 and PHNE_28886. Swinstall said the others were already installed.

After a clean reboot the WRQ NFS client 10.x for WIN XP Pro and W2K Pro still failed.

Microsoft NFS Services for Unix 3.5 continues to work OK.

I guess we know where the problem is now?

I think WRQ NFS 10.x is out and MS SFU NFS 3.5 is in.

I really appreciated your help! I thank you for all your advice...

Well if nothing more the HP is as up to date as it can be for 10.20. Better make a tape.

All I have to do now is find the diagnostic CD key so I can mark a track bad on a hard drive and spare it out. Have a Seagate ST32151N with an unreadable track. Diagnostic CD B3782-10222. I used to have that darn thing somewhere. You had to set the cmos clock to a particular date and use the key. The key was date related. Of course I have moved everything and can't find those notes... That's what happens when you get old!

Happy holidays...

Ken Martin_3
Regular Advisor

Dave,

Found out from a friend that WRQ did issue a patch for their NFS client.

If running Windows 2000 or Win XP and running WRQ NFS Client 10.0 they should get the 10.00.4 patch and apply it.

Seems to resolve the problem.

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Ken,

Thanks for posting the update here in the Forums. Hopefully others will benefit from your hard work and testing efforts.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo