1754822 Members
3492 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIS+

Chris Garman
Frequent Advisor

NIS+

I have used NIS+ at numerous sites in the past (On Solaris) and have experienced lots of problems. Machines have had their credentials rejected and users have been unable to change their passwords.

The conclusion I drew is that NIS+ had a lot of great useful features, but simply did not work.

Is this still the case now it has been implemented on HP-UX 11. Does anyone use it on this O/S in a C2 trusted environment? Is it reliable? Have there been any problems?

Another concern I have is that it no longer updates the tcb and other UNIX files. If I decide to backout NIS+ is there a way of extracting the info back to UNIX files?

Thanks,
Chris
3 REPLIES 3
Chris Garman
Frequent Advisor

To quote HP response centre 'a lot of people have problems with this. We are unsure if we are going to follow this route, or implement LDAP in the future'. Has anyone used LDAP??
Anthony deRito
Respected Contributor

We have been making an attempt to implement NIS+ on Solaris with no success. Sun has been involved at a very high level because of the large business impact of the implementaion. We are also going to discuss LDAP as a replacement for NIS+ as per the recomendation of Sun. I have no info yet on LDAP but thought it was interesting on how Sun and HP are not able to work out the bugs in NIS+ at this time.

Tony
Chris Garman
Frequent Advisor

Anthony,

Was your environment C2 trusted?

I think our answer is going to be to deploy RSA Keon UPS, provided someone is prepared to pay.

Has anyone reviewed/used products like this?