108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NTP monitoring

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dalin Bruns
Occasional Advisor

NTP monitoring

Is it common practice to monitor NTP status? If so, from ntpq -p, what is the most tell-tale indicator that things are good/bad, i.e. is there one parameter that I can watch such that when that parameter reaches a specific threshold, user intervention is required?

Thanks in advance,

Dalin
17 REPLIES 17
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Dalin,

NTP should be pretty much self healing. You might want to review syslog entries just to assure yourself that all is well:

"grep -i ntp /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log"

Pete

Pete
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

NTP is pretty simple and reliable.
If you have any doubts about your setup use this command to monitor connection
ntpq -p
The "reach" value will move towards 377 if the connection is reliable.
Also check for the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file for ntp logs.

and xntpd is the daemon should be always running

-Uday
Good Luck..
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Look for entry's in your syslog, like "Lost connection to stratum" if you do not find them in your syslog you are pretty save.

Hope it helps,

Robert-Jan.
Dalin Bruns
Occasional Advisor

I agree that NTP takes care of itself running on its own, but recently our time source, some type of satellite link device began to fail, and we didn't realize it until time between several of our servers had begun to drift enough to cause us some database issues. In hindsight, as the device failed, it was over a week or so before we were awakened to this issue by the database and I was hoping to head this sort of thing off at the pass.

Dalin
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Dalin,

How many servers are connected to your ntp gps device ?

Robert-Jan.
Dalin Bruns
Occasional Advisor

Interestingly, we routinely see synchronisation lost messages in the syslogs of our machines, following by a resync minutes later. I was, more specifically, wondering, if I monitor the dispersion value from ntpq -p, whether that value would be a good indicator of ntp status.

Dalin
Sergejs Svitnevs
Honored Contributor

Check out the following link:

http://nic-ks.greatplains.net/ntp/debug.htm

Regards,
Sergejs
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Dalin,

What do the "ntpq -p" output fields mean?
DocId: KBRC00001347 Updated: 2/14/00 9:51:55 AM
PROBLEM
The details of the "ntpq -p" output fields

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000063235965

Robert-Jan.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Dalin,

We see synch lost and resynch messages as well. I suspect that this is completely normal. For ongoing monitoring, I would suggest a cron job that greps syslog for ntp messages once a day and emails the output to you. You could get fancy and check for a synch lost without a corresponding resynch, but a little manual review would also work without too much effort.

Pete

Pete