New Discussion

PAM Authentication

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russell Gould
Advisor

PAM Authentication

Hi,

My users use Envize X workstations and we have recently gone to CDE from VUE obtaining a boot from one of our servers.

One users screen lock kicked in and he could not unlock it even though he was 'confident' that he was putting in the correct password !

I was led to believe that the root p/w or a UID 0 p/w could unlock any users screen lock but this did not seem to be the case !?! - Can anyone confirm?

After investigating syslog, I was indeed happy that the user was indeed putting in the correct password as there were the following entries :

DTSESSION: pam_setcred: failure : 33
DTSESSION: audit_log: cannot set effective uid before audwrite
DTSESSION: pamauthenticate status: 13

I tried to replicate the problem by entering the wrong password for my account and I got pam_authenticate status of 9 (which was correct when looking at the error codes for pam.

13 however seems to indicate :-
#define PAM_USER_UNKNOWN 13 /* No account present for user */

This confuses me as the user has a valid account and we can telnet to the server as him with his password no problem.

More worryingly, and I'm not sure if this relates to the pam_setcread error above, but I've found a reference that error 33 could mean :-
#define PAM_PRPW_ERROR 33 /* Password database corruption
no corresponding entry found */

Any ideas ?

Many thanks in advance

Russell
It's not a problem, it's an opportunity !
1 REPLY 1
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: PAM Authentication

You are quite right roots passwd can overide a users passwd wrt CDE's screenlock.

I've not come across this before but am wondering if this system is trusted ? involved with a DCE cell or whether nis maybe involed ?

also would I be correct in saying this is 10.20 ? has the O/S been upgraded as well and what is your patch level like ?

maybe worth a /usr/sbin/pwck