New Discussion юеВ

pmodify

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jerry_109
Super Advisor

pmodify

Hello All,

Anyone ever heard of a product called "pmodify" ? I understand it's an undocumented process to change the extent size of an already created volume group. Anyone know how to use it or what's it's really for.
I have a 100G lun I want to add to an existing vg.

#############################
#uname -a ; model
HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 100434656 unlimited-user license
9000/800/L3000-7x
#############################
3 REPLIES 3
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: pmodify

There's an unsupported util you might be able to get from the response center that would increase max pe per pv... I'm not sure if it could be used to increase the extent size.

Try searching the ITRC for "vgmodify". HP won't support it, so if something goes wrong you'd be on your own.

Normally you'd recreate the volume group to change the exent size or you could go with smaller luns if your real issue is max pe per pv limit for that 100GB lun.

-denver

Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HP dosent recommend running such utils, but i heard some of my friend have succeeded in doing this with vgmodify.

But be cautious !

Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As mentioned in above posts the tool is actually bhmodity to achive your requirement. But as mentioned earlier as it is not supported you include some risks in using these utilities. Just back up everything in the VG before using the tool or just avoid it by splitting LUN in one or more of the appropriate sizes.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"