New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printer disabled

SOLVED
Go to solution
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Printer disabled

Hi,

There is a printer that keeps getting disabled. When I run the command "lpstat -pPRT6455" I get the the following error :

# lpstat -pPRT6455
printer PRT6455 disabled since Sep 7 09:31 -
error 1 returned
fence priority : 0

When I "enable PRT6455", the status returned is :

printer PRT6455 now sending PRT6455-0 to PRT6455. enabled since Sep 7 09:31
fence priority : 0

But after a while, the printer is disabled again.

I am not able to ping the printer as pinging has been disabled in the firewall/network. Traceroute is able to reach the printer.

It is a Canon IR 2270 without print server and there's no problem printing from the network, just that UX is not able to print to it.

Has anyone encountered similar issues?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
TTr
Honored Contributor

> It is a Canon IR 2270 without print server

What exactly do you mean here? There has to be a printserver involved. Is it internal in the printer? Or is the printer directly connected to a windows printserver?
How is the UNIX spool defined? Is it a remote spooler or a network spooler?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Has this printer ever worked from HP-UX in the past? There are two very different ways to connect a printer in HP-UX.

One is to use a remote lpr/lpd print server which is usually built into the LAN card in the printer. The other is to use HP's JetDirect software called hppi. However, hppi requires a LAN card that is compatible with the HP JetDirect protocol. You can check this compatibility by running the command:

/opt/hpnpl/bin/hpnpadmin -v 1.2.3.4

where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of the printer. If it replies with a lot of data, then the printer can be added using addqueue. This is the preferred method to add the printer when hpnpadmin returns the printer details (more than a page of data and stats).

Otherwise, it must be added with SAM using the option: Add Remote Printer. You will have to use the correct lpd printer name. This is very difficult to locate in the Canon documents. The 2270 may have the lpd printer name "print", "PRINT", "pt1" or "lpt1".

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi TTr & Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

After checking, I found that the printer is actually connected to a JetDirect print server via lpt1.

I have been searching through this forum and found that I need to install JetAdmin in my UX box to enable the printing.

Those threads that I read were actually dated 2002 / 2003 and not sure if the JetAdmin software is outdated. I managed to download "HP11e134.SD" but not sure if it will work with 11v2.3

Some queries :
1) how do I install it?
2) after installation, do I still use SAM to set it up?
3) if so, how do I specify that it's lpt1?
4) as there's no "/opt/hpnpl/bin/hpnpadmin" directory, does this mean I need to install "hppi" instead of JetAdmin (or are they the same)?

Sorry for all the stupid questions as I am at a loss as to how to get the printers working.

Thanks !
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Your questions are very normal. HP has always had a very big disconnect between their printer division (including the JetDirect products which include LAN cards and external boxes) and HP-UX. JetAdmin was the first product name but was obsoleted in 1999 due to Y2K issues, and was replaced by hppi (HP Printer Installer). The code is fairly similar but hppi is what you need. Unfortunately, HP stopped shipping hppi with the core HP-UX install disks years ago (for reasons unknown) and therefore makes installing HP printers quite problematic.

So your Canon will work just fine with hppi. Download the HP11e134.SD file (use BINARY mode if you transfer it from a PC to your HP-UX system. Store it in /tmp and install it like this:

swinstall -s /tmp/HP11e134.SD \*

Don't forget the \* at the end. Once installed, when you run sam, it will simply start hppi when you specify a "Network Printer". However, I find the menu quite difficult to navigate for a simple printer, so I use the hppi utility addqueue to add the printer.

Once your printer has an IP address, just add the printer like this (after you delete the old PRT6455 using: lpadmin -x PRT6455):

addqueue -h 1.2.3.4 -q PRT6455 -b off -e off -r off -i 261

The man page for all the available options is:

man net_ljx000

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for your detailed explanation. It was most informative !

I will try it out and post any issues encountered.

Thanks very much !
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi Bill,

Encountered error while trying to install HP11e134.SD :

======= 04/13/10 02:40:16 MESZ BEGIN swagentd (pid = 1899).

* Registered RPC protocol "ncacn_ip_tcp" with endpoint "2121".
* Registered RPC protocol "ncadg_ip_udp" with endpoint "2121".
* Checking job queue at 1 minute intervals.
* Started install agent on "/" for root@host, pid=26160,
09/13/10 02:33:52 MESZ
ERROR: Access denied to root@host to start agent on unregistered
depot "/tmp/HP11e134.SD". No (i)nsert permission on host.
09/13/10 02:33:53 MESZ
* Agent pid=26160 completed. 09/13/10 02:33:53 MESZ
* Started install agent on "/" for root@orion, pid=26216,
09/13/10 02:35:24 MESZ
ERROR: Access denied to root@host to start agent on unregistered
depot "/tmp/HP11e134.SD". No (i)nsert permission on host.
09/13/10 02:35:24 MESZ
* Agent pid=26216 completed. 09/13/10 02:35:25 MESZ

I have "chmod 777" but still no luck.

What should I do?

Thanks
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>ERROR: Access denied to root@host to start agent on unregistered depot "/tmp/HP11e134.SD". No (i)nsert permission on host.
>I have "chmod 777" but still no luck.

You need to look at swacl(1M) for permission issues.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Try restarting swagentd

/sbin/init.d/swagentd stop
/sbin/init.d/swagentd start

Also, try the command:

swlist

It should report a list of software products that are installed. If you get errors, your networking setup on this system may have been recently changed, probably incorrectly.

The problem is not with the depot file but with the software installer programs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
so.nimda
Super Advisor

Hi Dennis & Bill

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, restarting the swagent worked.

Continuing with the installation and configuration of the printer.

Hope it works...

Thanks once again for the prompt response. =)