New Discussion юеВ

Printing to JetDirect on a different subnet

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mihails Nikitins
Super Advisor

Printing to JetDirect on a different subnet

Hello,

I have the following problem. Previously I printed from HP-UX boxes on JetDirect Laser 4si using JetAdmin Software. Now I have moved the printer in a different subnetwork (this is really needed).

Question. How to setup print services in the most efficient way? Broadcasts are not possible because there are some switches and routers between the networks.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Printing to JetDirect on a different subnet

You can still use the JetDirect software to print.

First, make sure that the printer is set up appropriately with the appropriate IP address, default router and subnet mask. On most printers you can do this from the front panel on the printer.

Once that is done, see if you can ping the printer from your HP-UX box. If you can, you are set. If not, check that the HP-UX box has an appropriate route set to get to the subnet that the printer is on.

Once everything is set up correctly, you'll be printing without a problem.
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I do as Patrick suggests. That means that at remote locations I have to depend on someone to enter the IP config from the panel.

I did some searching and found http://www.hp.com/cposupport/networking/support_doc/bpj06961.html
RDA sounds interesting but I know nothing about it other than what I just read.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Steven Gillard_2
Honored Contributor

As Patrick's post suggests the easiest way is to configure the IP address on the printer itself.

If you're using bootp or DHCP on the HPUX system to allocate the printers address you'll need to configure a router on the printer's subnet as a relay agent. Most decent routers provide this service as far as I know, but be careful if there are other DHCP PC's servers on your network!

Cheers,
Steve
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Older HP printers may require bootp to set the IP.

All newer ones can be setup from the menu.

Or in the case of jetdirect network applicances such as the 300X, they are setup with a web interface.

On the client side, only the IP of the printer is needed.

If you are using DHCP, all rules change, as the IP can change.

We lock the printer IP's out of DHCP.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Mihails Nikitins
Super Advisor

I have already configured
IP address, mask and gateway on the printer's panel.

In fact, I'm worried about specifying printer's MAC address as mandatory parameter for JetAdmin and bypassing BOOTP/TFTP(?) features. So, I do not know what to enter in configuration dialog, my HP-UX host will not receive any Ethernet frames from the address. No DHCP and similar things should travel across the networks.

P.S. Thanks for your comments, I'll rate all the answers later.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

There should be no need to specify the printers MAC address anywhere in the JetDirect software. Jetdirect will work from the name/IP address.

You say your HP-UX host will not receive ethernet frames from the printer address. Why not? Is the subnet that the printer on not routed to the subnet your HP-UX box is on?

Do you get a response when you ping the printer?

It sounds like you just have a network routing issue that needs to be resolved. Since the IP, gateway and subnet mask are configured on the printer (you did turn off bootp and dhcp on the printer right?) there should not be an DHCP traffic on your network.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Although JetAdmin software starts out with step 1. asking about bootp parameters such as MAC address, steps 1 and 2 are only for automated address and config--which does not work over routers by default. Automated configuration is a nice feature for managing dozens to hundreds of printers but it will require your network department to allow UDP (ie, bootp packets) traffic to/from all the printer subnets.

Since you can remotely configure all modern JetDirect printers, this is probably the easiest way to go. For the (very old) LaserJet II and III printers (except the IIISi), you have no choice: bootp must be used to configure these. These are known as XIO interface cards and have a self-test button on the card.

For all others, you simply telnet to the unconfigured JetDirect card (must use the same subnet) at address 192.0.0.192 or to change an address, telnet to the old address. AS mentioned, newer cards have a mini-webserver builtin. NOTE: the next generation of cards were called MIO and the first models of these did not have telnet capability--these should be upgraded with the download utility ASAP.

Because all unconfigured JetDirect cards have the same address (192.0.0.192), you'll need to add the cards to the LAN one at a time to avoid duplicate IP addresses. You can also configure the cards with a laptop and a peer-to-peer (crossover) LAN cable. The JetDirect cards remember their configurations even if powered off or removed.

However, once the card has been configured (and from thje front panel, remember there are 3 values: IPaddr, subnet mask and gateway or router address), you never need to use jetadmin again...just use the addqueue command. Really easy since everything is on 1 line. (man addqueue) For example:

addqueue -h 12.34.56.78 -p prn134

If the printer is not automatically recognized:

addqueue -l

then:

addqueue -h 12.34.56.78 -p prn134 -i 9998

This is really helpful when you have hundreds of printers to add.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Mihails Nikitins
Super Advisor

Command 'addqueue' has solved my problem because I had problems with SAM configuration dialogues. I just removed the printer and executed 'addqueue'. Thank you for all comments!