any ideas ?

MDF
Marcelo De Florio
8 REPLIES 8
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem to execute remsh

Check (/etc/services)..
Make sure the line that has "kshell" is not commented out.
Sometime You'll get this error because this line is commented out. Or if you are using NIS then check your resolve.conf and nsswitch.conf file in /etc

Goodluck
-USA..
Good Luck..
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Double check the file /etc/services on the machine that you're trying to remsh to and make sure the entries that says ..
kshell ...
ekshell ...
are not commented. If they are uncomment them. These are Kerberos remote shell that needs to be enabled for the "r" commands to work.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Looks like your shell,kshell and ekshell have been commented out in your /etc/services file. Uncomment them and run inetd -c and then try again.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Marcelo De Florio_1
Frequent Advisor

Ok, thanks i uncommented kshell and ekshell, but Why i need to use this services ? if remsh its common service, this service used kerberos by default ?

regards.

MDF
Marcelo De Florio
Ray Brewer
Valued Contributor

remsh is similar to rlogin in that it needs to be able to resolve the hostname properly and that it is allowed access vi a .rhosts file or /etc/hosts.equiv. Validate that the hostname resolves correctly by using

nslookup
and nslookup

and validate that

rlogin
works.
If these are both fine then also check /etc/services for the shell entry on the target system. Shell uses port 514/tcp

Ray
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

If you look at the timing of my post, it is stamped same as the other prior posts. Well, I am not begging you for the points.

Whether you use kerboros or not, remsh does look for the ports 544 and 545. This is a patched up feature added recently.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

And that patch ( for example for 11.0) is PHNE_23003 r-commands cumulative.
http://support2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHNE_23003&context=hpux:800:11:00
Just fyi..
Marcelo De Florio_1
Frequent Advisor

I have installed the patch PHNE_23003, anybody know another patch to resolve this problem ?

regards.

MDF
Marcelo De Florio