3674 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with HP9000 A500 server with 11i

Shailesh Kumar.P
Occasional Advisor

Problem with HP9000 A500 server with 11i

Hello,
I hv a problem while installing 11i on HP A500 series M/C's.it gives the following error,

"DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM WARNING:
The diagnostic logging facilityhas started receivingexcessive errors from th I/O subsystem
I/O error entries will be lost until the cause of the excessive I/O logging is corrected.If the diaglogd daemon is not active, use the daemon startup command in stm to start it.
If the diaglog daemon is active, use the logtool utility in stm to determine which I/O subsystem is logging excessive errors."

error msg appears while installing 38th fileset and m/c hangs at this stage.But it is noticed that, after trying may be 6 or 7 times
once it went through successfully eventhough it gave the same error
(at this time it stuck for 8-10mnts and continued the installation)
But after the successfull installation, when we connected an UltraScsi diskPack on the inbuilt ultrascsi port, everything was fine, even ioscan and BCH also shows the disks properly and we could create vg and filesystems. but when you do a excessive io on this external disks the system panic occures.

This problem found on 4 nos of A500 m/c's(all new m/c,s).
At the time of install, there are no additional/external H/W comnnected to the system other than DVD ROM DRIVE.
current FW version is 41.10. on one of the m/c we tried updating the FW to 41.17 but still the problem persists.
Is there any known issues with A500 M/C's?
since problem is coming on 4 m/c's, it may be a manufacturing defect.
can someone help me out on this..

Thanks in advance..
Sailesh.

4 REPLIES 4
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Either one interface is gone or
SCSI interfaces not properly terminated or
your DVD is giving errors.
This is just a first guess.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Shailesh Kumar.P
Occasional Advisor

Hi Alex,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I hv tried with replacing the DVD rom and SCSI cable and terminator.
Scsi termination is properly done.
How is it possible that scsi ports are bad on all 4 m/cs? for me it is something strange..i do not know.
I strongly beleive that there is a defect in the h/w only. then there may be a workaround for that..
any more clues...please

Thanks,
Sailesh
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

First, what do you mean when you say "M/C"? I'm not sure what this means ... when you tell me, I will probably say "oh yeah, that's obvious now that I see it" but right now I just can't figure out what you mean. :)

I installed my 11i system onto an A500 using a DVD-ROM player connected to the UltraSCSI port and encountered no problem at any time. I assume that you are using an HP DVD-ROM player?

Is it possible that there is some defect on your 11i installation media? Have you tried using a different set of media? (It's just odd that the error occurs on the same fileset each time).

I would definitely call HP about this ... all your systems should be under warranty. If it is, in fact, a manufacturing defect, HP should be notified as soon as possible so they can resolve your problem and prevent broken machines from being shipped.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Shailesh,

Have you tried a different set of media.
If the install stops at the same fileset
on all four systems this would certainly
point to a media problem. Contact HP and
get a replacement set of CD's. It is highly
unlikely that it is the same hardware problem
on four systems.

Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?