108889 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ram Avg Util

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The default value of 50% for the buffer cache is simply a bad value. Since you are running 11.23, the buffer cache code was heavily updated to improve performance so that the recommended maximum for dbc_max_pct could be larger than 800-1500 megs. For a very busy system (at 11.23), 4GB to 6Gb can be useful.

But your metric 80% isn't meaningful. You need to define the amount of local process memory, shared memory and the buffer cache. 80% is not right if you paid lots of money for your RAM...a better value is 95% or higher. After all, this is not a PeeCee where the system becomes unstable or crashes when all memory is used. If you have terminated all your applications, then local process memory will be very small but if you trashed the applications by using kill -9, then shared memory and other IPCS objects are left orphaned in RAM.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Max ON_1
Valued Contributor

OK Bill
thank you very much. I'm tuning my system and I changed the value of dbc_max_pct. I'm monitoring the system resource and my applications and it's seems that works very well.

thanks again to all

regards
Max