Re: restore from ignite-ux tape & memory upgradation

SOLVED
Go to solution
S.S.
Super Advisor

restore from ignite-ux tape & memory upgradation

Hi All,

MERRY XтАЩMAS!!

Thanks for all professionals sharing the knowledge and providing the valuable solutions related to day-to-day routine problems.

This forum is very helpful for me and i gained most of the knowledge.

My Query is:

Actually, we have a plan in January month to upgrade the memory on our production servers.

$ uname -a
HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 2781534396 unlimited-user license
$
$ model
9000/800/rp8440
$

Could you suggest me what are the pre-requisition steps to be perform before performing the memory installation.
I guess, one should be that to ensure the latest ignite backup [in the event of DR] and any other ?

And also May i have the complete steps for the restoration from ignite-ux tape and any expected problems ?

Please guide me as i didn't do this task before.

Thanks All......

Once again Merry Xmas.

Regards
Swetha

7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It is always good to have a backup.
But as long as the memory is properly installed, it won't be needed. Just make sure to follow the installation rules. Consider to adjust the swap and dump configuration.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
R.K. #
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Swetha..

>>> May i have the complete steps for the restoration from ignite-ux tape

Backup Process
1. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/?mn #(to take full vg00 backup)
2. use interactive mode i or I above

Recovery Process
3. Reboot your system & Press a key to abort non-interactive recovery (if above interactive option is not used while ta).
4. Select appropriate language.
5. Select Advanced Options from the menu (3rd option, if you want to change file system sizes).
6. Select Edit Config from the submenu (2nd option).
7. Change the last RECOVERY entry in the file to RECOVERY=TRUE and exit vi.
8. Select Install HP-UX from the menu (1st option).
9. Choose either Guided or Advanced Installation (advanced is required for changing filesystems).
10. Complete all other required information and select Go! to begin the recovery.

Don't fix what ain't broke
S.S.
Super Advisor

Hi Torsen,

Thanks for your reply.

I have prepared an "Action Plan" could you please check and correct me if anything wrong and any further steps to add.

I have a query, after the memory installation, what are the steps we should check to confirm that this has been successfully completed.

And if possible kindly, list out the steps for the restoration from the ignite tape.

Regards
Swetha
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think as this is idrange server, HP authorised engineer will be taking care of the hardware upgradation.So I dont think you may need to worry about memory loading order and other hardware compatibility checks.

Before that I would suggest you to log a query case with HP for getting the exact information and possibility of the upgradation.

However we need to takecare of OS part.

As you have told latest Ignite back need to be taken.

1. I would suggest you to take a full data backup also.

2. Swap and dump configuration should be taken care. minfree, lotsfree and all may be verified.

4. Form OS configuration point of view remember all of your memory resourse allcation will be increase with reference to the % of you have mentioned. like CLM and all.

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Sp4admin
Trusted Contributor

Hi Swetha,

Will as stated it's a good idea to have an ignite backup handy just in case. We have support from HP and they will usually perform the memory install. I do know that it matters how the memory is loaded on the Cell board. I know this isn't much help.

Merry Xmas,
Sp
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Since it is only a memory upgrade, so you don't need to worry too much about file systems although an ignite backup is good.

You might have issue during booting that the boot device is lost (as far as I can remember). So, you need to prepare to search and get back the boot device. I think HP engineer would help you in that.
S.S.
Super Advisor

Thank you All.